Filling a hole in my floor (amateur)

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by crispy77, Mar 1, 2020.

1. crispy77

crispy77 New Member

Hi All

Struggling to get a builder to do some work for me so gradually working through it myself. The next bit though is totally new to me.

the concrete floor in my flat was very uneven around what was an old doorway. I've hacked out what I can and think it now just needs filling (see pic). I have as you can exposed a couple of pipes as well as insulation. I assume as the concrete was previously just on top of this I can do the same? And any other tips re prep of area and indeed materials would be great. I don't need a ton of concrete so any recommendation on pre-mix & blends would be amazing too. cameringo_20200301_192523.jpg

Thanks

2. xednim

xednim Screwfix Select

is not much so you can go with leveling compound, full instruction on the bag, when buying it you have to check if will be suitable for your required thickness, easy to work with and setts pretty fast

3. crispy77

crispy77 New Member

Great. Thanks for the info.

Do you think I need to worry about the loose stuff thats left in the hole? And do the pipes need any protecting?

Cheers

4. xednim

xednim Screwfix Select

LC is runny so will go in-between loose materials and seal that well
    pipes- if they have lagging on it you can go over it, if not and if they are easily accessible- go with denso tape (nasty stuff) or just felt lagging- this have to reasons for it- first of all barrier between pipe and concrete protecting the pipe from grinding while expands/contracts, and secondly- chemicals that appears in mortals are likely to react with specific metals ;)

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

If you put that level over the 'hole' what's the average depth to bring up to floor level ?

You need to prime the concrete first to take away the dustiness and achieve a good bond between self leveller and concrete
    Specific primers will be mentioned (and expensive) but a diluted coat of SBR will do the job - 1lt size available from Wickes (5lt from most other places)

As to self leveller, this is good quality and as pouring over concrete, you don't need a flexible one. Only drawback is max 10mm pour in one go. Can add additional layers on top once set though;

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mapei-ultimate-leveller-1210-self-levelling-floor-compound-20kg/4377v#_=p

Or go for this one, its flexible and fibre reinforced which you don't actually need but, can pour up to 40mm in one hit, although more expensive;

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mapei-ultraplan-3240-self-levelling-compound-25kg/4959f?_requestid=112100

You will need to plug any gaps where the SL can drain away as it goes down pretty runny so can escape. Fill gaps with caulk or no nails type adhesive and allow to harden before pouring SL

6. Sorry to hijack this post but I am also going to self-level myself using Mapei Ultraplan 3240 Self-Levelling Compound, onto uneven concrete and found this post about SBR. I have just read the instructions but don't understand them.

How diluted does this SBR have to be, do I dilute with water, and do I just use 1 coat? I'm thinking of using Everbuild 503 SBR Bond.

Thank you in anticipation :)

Really appreciate your help as this is way beyond me

Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 22.33.40.jpg Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 22.36.32.jpg

7. And what ratio dilution please?

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hi there

Yes, the instructions on the Everbuild SBR can be a little confusing as it has loads of different uses, all with different ratios and methods of use

For sealing your floor, prior to pouring SL, your using it as a primer, so white section of the label at the top - 1 part SBR to 3 parts water, and mix - that’s it !

Sweep concrete to remove loose material and surface dust, then liberally brush on diluted SBR, 1 coat will be fine as long as surface fully wetted and SBR brushed in

Sometimes when very dusty, the SBR kinda sits on top of the dust without wetting underneath, so brush well into concrete and that’s about it really !

9. That brilliant thank you soooooo much x

10. For an 11'x14' space would you buy the 2.5L or the 5L please?

11. FraserD

FraserD Active Member

Smaller one that diluted will go far.

Sarah Dasdemir likes this.
  12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

As above, 2.5lt once diluted at 1-3 will give you 10ltr of diluted SBR - more than enough

When you brush it on, it’s a thin as water, just a milky colour, avoid splashing it up walls if your planning on painting as may cause problems with paint, wipe off splashed

If walls are to be skimmed, boarded, wallpapered, etc, then not a problem re splashes

Easy to use, no unpleasant smell, don’t need to be fussy- just brush it on, wash equipment out with warm soapy water - job done :)

Sarah Dasdemir likes this.