Metric is an Imperial Nightmare - No Standard in sheet sizes FML

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by FIXMAKEBUILD, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Don't use bright nails, they will rust. Use either galvanised or hot dip galvanised provided the structure won't be exposed before covering for months on end. Ideal sizes for you would be 75-100mm for the framing, 50-65mm for the sheathing.

2. FIXMAKEBUILD

FIXMAKEBUILD Member

I honestly didnt expect to get any replies to my post, but im so glad i did post it, i have had some really really useful advise here, im so glad that i wasnt shot down for being a wanna be, i know i can do it i just want to do it properly if you can understand that. for to long i have mcguivered things for the lack of proper tools and equipment but now i have no excuse, I have some awesome new tools, an evolution sliding mitre saw, an evlolution table saw, a new set of erbauer drill drivers that inculdes an imapct driver (OMG i love that thing how did i ever manage with out one?) and a whole bunch of other small tools that i can finally put in my new workshop, for the longest time everything i have made or built for our house has been made in an 8x6 little garden shed :)

3. FIXMAKEBUILD

FIXMAKEBUILD Member

Arrgh you know i looked at galv nails to, ok i will order galv tommorrow why didnt i just get those? im so cheap sometimes :(

4. Richard_

Richard_ Screwfix Select

How about steel beam sizing. A 533 x 210 beam is 549 mm high and 214 wide

5. FIXMAKEBUILD

FIXMAKEBUILD Member

WHAT!!! you arent serious surely? thats fking madness

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

It will be worth three hours of your time to go on YouTube and type in 'Larry Haun house' and watch the videos that come up. Three one hour videos of the same build. He was an American carpenter who was legendary in his ability to build timber framed houses with his two brothers in a day, amongst many other things he wrote books and one of which is transposed into video footage in the early nineties showing him and his brother Joe building a timber framed bungalow from scratch. Forgetting the fact the measurements are in imperial, it will help you immensely.

WillyEckerslike and Shytot like this.
  7. FIXMAKEBUILD

FIXMAKEBUILD Member

you know i deal with some odd things in IT but when it comes down to it there is almost perfect reasoning to everything within it, but the british championed the metric system, how can something be labelled one thing and measure another? wtf is going on? some serious *** kicking needs to be had somewhere.

8. FIXMAKEBUILD

FIXMAKEBUILD Member

I have watched him, granted i watched him at a time when this new project was pipe dream, i will go back and watch him again, the way that dude walks on framing like a ninja is impressive in itself. Jord you are a wealth of information and i cant thank you enough for your advice dude. I am a huge youtube watcher i consume more youtube than mostly anyone on the planet most likely, hopefully you will see this guy there :)

9. FIXMAKEBUILD

FIXMAKEBUILD Member

When i make the video of me making this monstrosity i will be sure to mention you, of that you can be assured .

10. FIXMAKEBUILD

FIXMAKEBUILD Member

my talents lie in making and fixing pretty much anything, but large construction is something very new to me and as this is everything i ever wanted i want to get it right like you have no idea how much.

11. FIXMAKEBUILD

FIXMAKEBUILD Member

on scewfix they have 3.75 x 75mm galv nails are those sufficent, l looked at them before i bought the bright nails but i thought they were to thin?

12. FIXMAKEBUILD

FIXMAKEBUILD Member

I will have to drive there to get them, looks like they dont have them for delivery, no bother i will go tomorrow after i finish work. look out bank account

13. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Screwfix will take back any unopened packets if that helps?

Have a look at the secondhand market for nailers and then decide if that warrants buying one - you'll recover a decent amount of your money for a well cared for one that's been used on one project only and it will possibly work out cheaper than hiring one. Jord could tell you which one to buy - I haven't got a clue - or there's probably a fairly recent thread on them somewhere on here. The topic comes round periodically.

14. Greentram

Greentram Member

How about steel beam sizing. A 533 x 210 beam is 549 mm high and 214 wide
    Not madness, just a mixture of history and manufacturing. UK steel beam sizes are metricated imperial - 533x210 was once a 21"x8¼", 254x146 was 10"x5¾" etc.

Then 533x210 is actually a family of sections, not one size, rolled as 82, 92, 101, 109, 122 and 138 kg/m. The smallest of these is 528x209mm, the largest 549x214mm. What they have in common - a function of the way they're rolled, is that the distance between the inboard faces of the flanges is constant, 476.5mm. As the outer rollers are moved out slightly, the flanges get thicker and the overall size of the section increases. The crucial think to note from this is that if you have a project including a steel beam and its size might be critical, make sure you work to the actual dimensions, not the nominal ones.
    Roller image at https://www.steelconstruction.info/images/thumb/d/db/C2_Fig2.png/400px-C2_Fig2.png

15. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Nice project. What are you doing for the roof? It looks like a kingpost truss on the end? Are you using trusses all the way across? if so I'd buy them in online. I've just bought 20 @ 3400 wide + gable ladders & all the bracing and clips for £650. If you are making a cut roof you do need to consider that the roof will try to "flatten" pushing the sides outwards - I'm sure Jord will add much more - he's the expert on these.

If you are OSBing the roof, make sure you leave 3-5mm gap between boards DO NOT secure them tight butted together. In summer they will get hot and expand.

As an aside on nailguns, I'm a new user so not much experience with them, but recently bought a Hikoki gasless framing nailer https://www.toolstation.com/hikoki-...4ZOIo-5UAlNS9YoeySbIhRrkrqq7AVghoCW58QAvD_BwE for a recent garage project and the next (timber frame) one. Perhaps a luxury, but I get elbow and wrist problems these days after too much hammer work, and it made fixing slate battens easy.

It is worth thinking about the detail of your roof, eaves and verge overhang etc so you can fit it in with the material sizes.

My most recent little DIY project is here https://community.screwfix.com/threads/garage-work-in-progress.222282/

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  16. FIXMAKEBUILD

FIXMAKEBUILD Member

For the roof i have an apex design set at a 30degree pitch, with a 150mm over hang due to the building being very close to the public foot path. I have 16 in total. I am ordering them from a local company i think they were about £750, they said they only need 7 days to make and get them to me so i will likely order them next week when the framing is up. My plan is to use 18mm OSB3 on the roof, then i have a Plastic drip edge all the way around then im going to use a felt underlay and felt\fibreglass 3 tab shingles. i have 5kg of 20mm galv felt nails and the material for the roof here ordered already. I finished the final design of the studwork late last night will post a picture now

17. FIXMAKEBUILD

FIXMAKEBUILD Member

upload_2020-9-11_8-8-39.png

I need to put the 6x2 headers in for the opening as suggested by jord in one of his posts.

18. FIXMAKEBUILD

FIXMAKEBUILD Member

Thanks the bright nails were only £5 so im sure they will come in handy somewhere inside the shop for projects somewhere, I was hoping a carpenter friend of mine would loan me his but he isnt answering the phone :( must be on one of his benders with the booze is my guess. I will look today to see if i can find one at a reasonable price and close enough so im not hours in the car today lol.

Had a good deal on some aluminium tower scaffolding yesterday to, £150 for a sections that can go up to about 20ft which is awesome, there are 4 7ft sections and 2 4ft sections with all the cross bracing or "noggins" which is now my favorite word lol im not sure noggin apples to scaffolding but he what the hell lol.

19. FIXMAKEBUILD

FIXMAKEBUILD Member

also i have bought truss clips to fasten the trusses to the header plate. should i toe nail or screw the trusses to the header plate to or will the galv truss clips be ok by themselves? im guessing here but the truss clips stop the roof blowing off in a gale right ?

20. FIXMAKEBUILD

FIXMAKEBUILD Member

i considered making this building a steel post and beam construction and had a guy price it up for me, but it worked out £10k i told him that was above my budget he came down to £7.5k in a heartbeat, now i dont know large construction but i do know if you can knock 25% of a significant amount of money at least for me thats not the kind of person that was being honest from the start, and as i live close to other houses the industrial look may not have gone over well with the neighbours so thats what made up my mind, at least it will look really nice when i decide on the siding material im going to use.