DIYnot and Allowing Racist Posts.

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Bobby Dazzler, Sep 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler Active Member

I'm gobsmacked.
    I was on DIYnot and noticed that another poster called ReganAndCarter had used an offensive racist word. He knew it was racist and offensive because he intentionally misspelled it to get round the auto-censor.
    But when I complained about it, my post, and others was deleted, and every time I complain about the racist post, my post is deleted, but the offensive post is allowed to remain.
    It is obvious that DIYnot is overtly allowing and supporting some posters to be intentionally racist.

2. Zed1001

Zed1001 Member

Tell us what he said, maybe then screwfix will delete this post.

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I would hazard a guess it's because the moderators aren't stupid and they recognise a troll takes many forms, and that a member constantly accusing and sniping others of racism, sexism, bigotry, chauvinism, and all other "isms" may actually be the problem themselves. It's only offensive if someone was offended by it with a genuine logical reason, I suppose the question must be asked of your own nature and temperament if a virtual stranger writes a word on an internet discussion that supposedly disgusts or provokes outrage so. Do not use this forum to besmirch another member that you take issue with on your predominant forum whilst posting inflammatory unverifiable hearsay. It's unlike your online self not to link to the "offending" article. Whatever your agenda is (perceived racism being top of the list) you need to find yourself new sport, without changing your forum name again and starting your diatribes afresh.

Good luck.

lacan and rogerk101 like this.
  4. Bobby Dazzler

I would hope that if I used the offending word on here, the auto-censor would delete/replace it, as it does on DIYnot.
    The racist poster, ReganAndCarter on DIYnot, intentionally used a misspelled word to bypass the auto-censor, so they were fully aware it was an offensive term. How is that not being intentionally racist and offensive?

It isn't the first time that poster has been intentionally offensive and racist. It appears to me that that poster exploits every opportunity to be racist.
    I will confront racism every time I see it or experience it. I recognise the damage it does to sections of society and society in general. When someone is being intentionally racist, It's offensive, abhorrent and unacceptable.
    When posters are protected against criticism by forum moderators, by allowing that racism to perpetuate, and removing criticism of that racism it is actively encouraging racism.
    On what grounds does jord86 defend racism? You cannot seriously suggest that it is permitted, because it is constantly challenged?
    As requested, I post a link to the offensive comment, with the offensive term omitted:
    "That sign will frighten the bejaysus out of bare knuckle fighting ***** who are thinking about dumping their waste in Farmer Giles gateway."
    Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/what-peeves-annoys-winds-you-up.548925/page-17#ixzz6Xu7rIacr

If some are allowed a 'freedom of expression' to be racist, surely, by the same token others must be allowed a 'freedom of expression' to criticise that racism.
    You cannot use 'freedom of expression' as a defensive argument about allowing racism, when you delete the criticism of that racism.

If, as you say, the moderators do no allow someone to call out racism, and determine that such posters are trolls, but they allow racists to continue to post racist comments, that indicates that racism is endemic and institutional within that forum.
    Moreover, who is the troll, the racist who persistently and intentionally uses racist terms to be offensive, or the poster who persistently criticises such racism?

I'm afraid that accusations of persistent criticism against racism are simply unacceptable. Especially when that racism is not allowed to be criticised. That is tantamount to encouraging racism.
    When racism is tacitly accepted, it multiplies and becomes endemic, even institutionalised. Racism should be criticised every time it is witnessed or experienced.

5. Zed1001

Zed1001 Member

I'm gobsmacked.

Jord86 likes this.
  6. Bobby Dazzler

Me too!

I'm gobsmacked that a forum can not only allow such blatant racism, but actively deletes criticism of that racism.
    There is no valid or defensible reason for that behaviour.

Also, the offensive post clearly and unambiguously avoided the auto-censor, but is still allowed to remain, depsite being specifically against the forum rules.
    upload_2020-9-13_9-41-45.png

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I don't defend racism on any grounds, that insinuation is a prime example of your Modus Operandi to throw in a pernicious comment in the hope of fuelling the fire you created. Reading the link you provided, it appeared to be written in the context of a throwaway comment, certainly not preparing the effigies for lighting. Have you ever considered that the offending member may just post particular words knowing it will wind you up and set you off, and you walked straight into it? Did you boycott the Guy Ritchie film 'Snatch' when it was released due to the large usage of the word, or campaign for its censorship? Do you think The Simpsons should change the character Ned Flanders due to how his first name is sometimes used as a similar slur in Scotland? Don't be so ridiculous.

8. PATRICE

PATRICE New Member

It does'nt say mispelled words to avoid the sensor will be deleted.

9. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

What's it got to do with this forum? Surely it's a matter for their admin.

Discussions of this nature (racism - perceived or actual, Brexit, politics, rules regarding domestic electrical installations etc) tend to attract the same protagonists for and against with a predictable decline into a cycle of repeated posts or theories ultimately leading to the thread being deleted which is fine - unless of course you were genuinely trying to understand the rules regarding domestic electrical installations!

These exchanges are thankfully quite rare on here nowadays (except every other post on the electricians' forum) and whilst it can make things seem a little tame the forum is at least achieving one of its main objectives. Unless I'm missing something, racism is dealt with quite thoroughly on here incidentally.

Are there not more pressing things to worry about than what he said she said on another DIY forum of all things? For instance, 'Does XR not have anything better to do?'

Does the Guardian have a letters page because that might be a better place to vent?

10. Bobby Dazzler

Then don't defend it!
    But you just did.
    Racism is racism, especially when it is used to provoke a reaction! Isn't that the wa racism is often used?
    You suggest that the comment was a throw away comment. Was all of his other racist comments,merely throw away comments?

I repeat, racism is racism. it cannot be justified under any circumstances, even though you attempt to do so.

gmcgrana likes this.
  11. Bobby Dazzler

Not worthy of a sensible response.

12. Zed1001

Zed1001 Member

This is like going into Wickes to complain about B&Q. What are you trying to achieve?

gadget man and sparky steve like this.
  13. Bobby Dazzler

It's their moderators that delete my criticism, and allow the racist comments to remain.
    There could be several reasons for that:
    a) the comments aren't racist, and I am mistaken.
    b) the admin prefer a culture of racism to a culture devoid of racism.
    c) the admin place financial interest above a moral compass.

i am absolutely confident that a) does not apply. On all the occasions that ReganAndCarter has been criticised by me for being racist, the dictionary definition always defines his comment as offensive.
    Is b) applicable? I leave it open to others to judge, but on the basis that I have seen so far, and the defence of racism on that forum, and now on this forum, it would appear that DIYnot prefers a culture of racism, or it is so endemic or institutionalised as to be acceptable.
    Is c) applicable? Perhaps. They accept a culture of racism in the interest of their financial gain. But that still means that the majority of its members find racism acceptable. That is frightening in this day and age.

14. Bobby Dazzler

If Wickes refused to allow your criticism, and closed you down each time you complained, but you felt strongly enough to voice your concerns, and B&Q allowed you the opportunity to do so, why not?

15. PATRICE

PATRICE New Member

You are just a wind up merchant, are'nt you Himmy,tried mumsnet yet?

16. Zed1001

Zed1001 Member

Because I worked for Wickes for 15 years, other than giving me a bit of a laugh when receiving complaints about the competition,it seemed irrelevant....a bit like this conversation.

17. Bobby Dazzler

Are you suggesting that we should not confront racism when we encounter it?

18. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I'm not defending it, selective editing there taking the post out of context, pernicious dishonest liar.

Or perhaps d) their moderators recognise an attention seeking, patronising, faux outraged argumentative person when they read one.

rogerk101 and sparky steve like this.
  19. Zed1001

Zed1001 Member

You ain't going to solve that problem on this forum. Ask us one on 'running power to your shed', you'll get all the help you need....maybe.

20. Bobby Dazzler

Are you suggesting that the moderators on mumsnet delete racist posts, but moderators on DIYnot don't?
    I'll bow to your experience. I only have experience of moderators on DIYnot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.