Drywall/plasterboard

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Marjie, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Marjie

Marjie New Member

I have some rain damage on a plasterboard ceiling. (Not sure of correct word).
    Normal damp stain paint followed by emulsion to cover hasn’t worked. Left a grey stain.
    Any advice re materials to use?
    Thanks.

2. A&T DESIGNS

A&T DESIGNS New Member

Did you wait until the damp patch was fully dried out before painting?

3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Damp stain paint? You want a stain block like Coverstain or BIN... Then emulsion, but as above will need to be dry.

4. Marjie

Marjie New Member

Yes.
    Storm damage before lockdown.
    Used Johnston’s damp stain. Then emulsion.
    Phoned paint manufacturer - Johnstons. Was told it was the damp paint. Just to keep painting on emulsion. But still evident.

5. Marjie

Marjie New Member

Is coverstain better than Johnston’s?
    Is that a trade paint?
    Thanks.

6. Marjie

Marjie New Member

Should have said. ....Didn’t start painting till August.

7. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

What was it you used? Johnstone's xxxxx.

I'm guessing some kind of stain block?

8. Marjie

Marjie New Member

I used Johnstone’s stainblock. Then crown emulsion.
    Still see grey stains from stain lock.
    In other room with normal plaster ceiling this procedure worked perfectly.
    So, I need better materials?
    Thanks

9. Marjie

Marjie New Member

See above ....forgot to click reply.

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I’ve not used the Johnstone’s Damp Paint but have used other paints in their range and I’m happy with the quality - they seem like a decent brand and decent quality paints

So, it’s a shame that the damp paint hasn’t worked and the advice to just add further coats of emulsion is rubbish !

If the stain is still showing through, which it is, then more emulsion coats won’t do a thing - if emulsion was the answer ...... then you wouldn’t need the damp paint / stain block / in the first place !

How many coats of the damp paint did you apply out of interest ?

The other issue is that by adding extra coats of emulsion to this area, you will end up with a raised patch of paint that will show through your final top coats

11. Marjie

Marjie New Member

When I phoned Johnston’s I was told it’s not the stain showing, but the damp stain paint. The stain was yellowy, but after painting with damp stain paint , was greyish.
    Johnston’s employee said to keep painting over with emulsion to hide the damp stain paint. .?

12. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I think you need to get it sorted so it not damp.
    Then stain block it with coverstain. Give it 24h and emulsion.
    Not aware of this damp paint or ever used and id run if asked to apply over damp walls or ceilings. Just asking for trouble imo

13. 2dowhat

2dowhat Member

It sounds perfectly normal to me, the tint form the Johnson product is striking through the emulsion. What emulsion are you using and have you over thinned it?