DIY Preferred Building Suppliers.

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by glob@l, Sep 16, 2020.

1. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

Apart from the host what suppliers does everyone use for materials? Do you go for price, quality or what.

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Local which is wickes and screwfix. Rest I buy online with decorating direct and ebay and amazon. Ffx for tools. Rs components for masking tapes. That's about it

fff likes this.
  3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Selco for medium to large jobs, any of the standard ones for small jobs and bits and pieces.

kitfit1 likes this.
  4. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Do you know what.............i really really wish i had a Selco near me now. When i lived in Brum i used them 100% of the time. Cheap, easy just to go in and grab what you want and be out, always had stock and no messing around with the worst website ever dreamed up for ordering.

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I find them the best of the lot, prices fair, staff knowledgeable, well stocked, everything from joinery items through to cement mixers, delivery no issues, and a Bruce bonus is the cafe on site which ensures productivity plummets from about 9.30 to 11am ;)

6. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I use Buildbase but only because I have established a very good relationship with one of the quoters in the office. She knows I shop around among the suppliers in the Oxford area so she just beats their prices. I also don't have to pay for delivery, which is normally chargeable for cash buyers.

I have heard such good things about Selco that I wish we had one in Oxford. Our closest is 35 miles away in Reading.

7. FraserD

FraserD Active Member

Been searching the Web for scuttles and all sorts of decorating paraphernalia, just bought a wooster scuttle and lid from our hosts. That decorating site never came up. It's brilliant, alas too late this time.

But great to have for next time, cheers fella.

fff and Wayners like this.
  8. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

Builders Depot / Selco / Wickes for materials, and S.Fix or Toolstation for other bits

9. LEH

LEH Active Member

Local timber merchants. Bits and bobs from TS. Tools - whatever's cheapest online. I've found myself buying more small bits on ebay these days, TS is not as cheap as they used to be. When I did my bathroom I shopped around online to find the lowest price for each item then got the local builder's merchants to match them in one quote and delivery, making life so much easier.

10. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

Yes, sounds as if it's a good supplier but not in Scotland, I hear some singing the praises of the Paint Shed, now they are in Scotland.
    Thanks all for the ideas.

11. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

@glob@l so is Tikkurila and you can buy online now. Edinburgh I think? Comes overnight down south to me. Amazing really... My paint brush... is another decorating site that's good. I do wonder if trade centres are feeling the switch to online companies hitting sales so looking more to supply diy than trades...

12. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

All good thanks, had a look and didn't even know about these places.

13. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

@glob@l
    One of the problems here is not knowing if you are talking to a trade person or a Joe public. Be better if that information was in the profile and you can't pm now to find out a bit about other members. Makes me tread lightly sometimes. Be no good saying go buy Haftprimer to a plumber from this trade centre. Building supplies is a bit wide for us pros. Most of us use specific suppliers I think depending on our trade. I'm painting and I skim with plaster and ready mix although dot and dab today. Then skim and paint.. Some spraying too... Trying not to stretch myself as can do most things in building trade but painter is what I really want to do the most. Screwfix and B@Q plus wickes is where I shop for general big stuff or small items. Paints and sundries online but not the brands most will know.. Brewers paints is good and local for mixed paints... Not tried hmg paints up in Manchester yet.

kitfit1, Isaac Cox and fff like this.
  14. haigie

haigie New Member

Paint Shed is brilliant. They saved my bacon considerably during lockdown (specifically Stephen at the Forge in Glasgow). Tool Station also good and of course, SF. B&Q is down the road if I’m really in a pinch.

15. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Yep, with you 100% there. I don't think though there is any way of actually confirming that anyone is really a tradesperson. Obviously Screwfix could do that by linking a profile to a trade account. But let's face it, screwfix have no idea how a forum works and couldn't care less about anything that happens on the forums unless it makes them look like the idiots they are.........................so nothing will ever change there...............................until they go bankrupt of course.

Jord86 likes this.
  16. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

"Number 201 reporting for duty Sir"

Time is the only real indication whether someone on here is a tradesman or not, consistent posts or advice given over a period that are accurate or helpful coupled with typing straight to the point and examples of tricks of the trade or instances where things have gone belly up mark someone out as experienced in the advice they are giving.

kitfit1 likes this.
  17. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Yep, you is 100% right there @Jord86.
    I think that most of on here know who are actual tradesmen, because we regularly read each others reply's to posts, so it's not too difficult for us to work it out. For new members though, it could be very difficult. Plus of course some, could be looking for the answer they want, rather than the truth.

18. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Lucky to have these guys close by. Huge independent on a massive site and keen prices. https://www.cwberry.com/ They have much more than is shown on their website, including a shed full of hardwood. https://www.cwberry.com/

Their site is around 18 acres - just measured it on google maps - it's massive

19. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Price and quality often come into consideration but customer service and convenience also play a large part in where I tend to source materials.
    SF and TS for sundries ( screws, silicone, drill bits, clips, odd tins of this and that, jigsaw blades, adhesives, hand tools and the sometimes power tools if they have a good deal on) electrical and plumbing bits as and when I need them.
    Wickes for small amounts of timber, local timber merchant for bigger jobs.
    MKM or Atkinson's for skirting boards and delivery of sheet materials.
    Online for most power tools.
    CTD, Topps tiles and a local independent for tile related trades.
    Yes Electrical and local independent for larger electrical orders.
    PTS and crosslings for larger plumbing orders.
    City plumbing for bathrooms and multi panels.
    The only time I venture into B&Poo these days is if I need a sheet of 1800×900 plasterboard or some plywood cutting down to a manageable size for a floor.
    Our host and their competitor are by far the most frequented out of the lot.

Wayners and gadget man like this.