Karndean flooring

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by b4xtr, Sep 15, 2020.

1. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

Hi All
    Just had the above fitted, Opus Luna with Grout strips by our well respected local flooring company

After they had left, on closer inspection, amongst other things i noticed the grout strips are proud of the tiles, i thought i'd do a bit of research so contacted Karndean on their web chat thing and they said "the grout strips should not be proud" speak to the installer
    On request, a chap came out from fitting company to have a look and agreed they were slightly proud
    He's gone away to speak to Karndean and will come back to me later

Anyone have any experience with this stuff, should the grout strips be level or even slightly dipped ?

TIA

Oh, not sure where to post this hence "other trades" but all are welcome :D

2. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

I don't fit Karndean, but most kitchens that i fit do end up with it on the floor. I've never seen any Karndean with the grout strips proud of the tiles. In fact, i always thought they were the same thickness as the tiles.

b4xtr likes this.
  3. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

Thanks for the reply - you are right, on further investigation there are several thicknesses of the strips and on these particular tiles, should be the thickness of the tiles to finish level - i believe they have fitted the wrong ones, 3mm instead of 2.5mm

4. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

b4xtr, We have karndean flooring here, but no grout strips.
    Can you take a picture of this, purely for my info as well.

Let us know how you get on with the fitting Co, & how they rectify it.

5. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

Sure, not heard back from floor co yet, mean while IMG_0766.jpg IMG_0768.jpg

have spare of each so have been able to measure - strip @3mm & tiles@2.5mm :(

6. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Great thanks.
    Surely they must have know when fitting that this was wrong??

kitfit1 likes this.
  7. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

Well you'd like to think so, mind you, there was a lot of chatting and signing along to the Radio, but even so.................................

8. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Lets just hope that the chatting and singing happened while they were being silly and you were not silly enough to have paid them ? Just spoken to our Karndean guy, his view is that the entire floor would need to come up to be able to replace the grout strips.

b4xtr likes this.
  9. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

Interesting what your man says, i too am thinking this is where we are going, as it's glue down i can't see any other way to fix it
    Thank's for the reply's
    Tis a shame as over the years we've used this company for 8 rooms plus the stairs, all with hardly any issue, but this is the 1st floor to have Karndean :(
    BTW only a deposit

10. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Only just looked at the pics you posted @b4xtr. Those grout strips arn't even up tight against the tiles :eek: That along with the strips being the wrong thickness is reason enough to insist the whole floor is taken up and redone. Are you 100% shure that this company is Karndean accredited ?

b4xtr and masterdiy like this.
  11. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

There are other issues which i won't yet list as i want to give them the opportunity to correct , however
    They are listed on the Karndean website as a "Gold Partner" which is admittedly the lowest of the "accreditations" (as an aside, when we were first looking for a retailer/fitter and did the search on the Karndean website, from memory there were only 2 "standards" - Platinum & Gold, now i see there is a higher one stated as "Karndean inspire")
    The fact that we had used this firm many times previously together with the approval gave us assurance that all should be good, live & learn...................
    Not heard back from them yet about what they propose to do (or not )
    Will update when there is something to report

masterdiy and Muzungu like this.
  12. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

How big was your deposit and what was the price for the job, also did you or the company actually supply the Karndean ?

13. Beech

Beech New Member

If a Pressure sensitive adhesive was used they should be able to remove and replace the strips.

14. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Don't be silly, You are obviously not someone that is Karndean accredited......................so don't give rubbish advice.

15. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

Not really sure how relevant the overall costings are but, 25% deposit and the materials were all supplied by the company

16. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

They are relevant because past experience tells me if you have already parted with a large chunk of money, a lot of company's will not be in any rush to sort out the issues.
    As you first posted last Tuesday, the floor was probably laid the week before ? I take it the flooring company has not got back to you yet with a plan to resolve the issues ?

17. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

Ah, i see what you mean
    As i said, 25% deposit, so a good chunk of change left
    I spoke to them on Friday and they were saying the floors got to come up and be replaced, they were however trying to get Karndean to go with this i think
    While me and the wife don't want this going on for too long, we are trying to give them every chance to correct so are trying not to pressure or make demands time-wise
    But having said all the above, i am going to speak with them tomorrow with a view to getting a commitment of when it will be sorted

18. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Again, past experience tells me that Karndean will not "go with this". Even if Karndean had actually supplied the wrong thickness of grout strips. The fitters should have spotted it within seconds of starting laying the floor and taken up what they had already laid.

19. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

Yes, i am of the same opinion - fitters should of noticed within a tile or 2 laid, and i agree that Karndean won't be that charitable - why should they ?
    As i said above , we have tried to be as understanding as we can to allow the firm to put it right, now my patience is wearing thin and today will be the day i will be asking for firm commitments

20. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

and if you don't get them get another installer in to quote to remedy/replace and then threaten the first with recovering the 25% deposit from them

b4xtr likes this.