How to put in new guttering

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Sincity, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Sincity

Sincity Member

This old gutter needs replacing. How do you put it in so its at the correct angle for the water to flow? And do you just cut it to size with a saw? Screenshot_20200915-223614_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200915-223518_Gallery.jpg

2. Nev Hope

Nev Hope Active Member

If you have to ask that, perhaps you should employ a local handyman to do the work :)

3. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

You should aim for a fall of roughly 20mm for every 5m , or to make it easier, 0.5cm per metre.

And yes you can use a saw, hacksaw would be best ( i use an angle grinder with diamond blade for a very clean cut)

Sincity likes this.
  4. Sincity

Sincity Member

To estimate that kind of drop, would you use your spirit level then drop ot 0.5cm a metre based on spirit levels marking?

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

You use a spirit level and your eyes to determine if the fascia is level or not, then work on a simple maths principle of 3mm fall every 600 or an 1/8th of an inch every two foot and work it out from there. It's easy, don't over complicate it.

Sincity likes this.
  6. Sincity

Sincity Member

Well this was a health and safety nightmare. I think I cracked an asbestos tile under ladder. I was worried about fall to right as well so tied ladder in to a temporary bolt I put into wall. Does it look nice and safe with standoff and rachets?

I even thought the floor might collapse as the whole building is so rickety Screenshot_20200919-183020_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200919-183017_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200919-183024_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200919-183005_Gallery.jpg

7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Why wouldn't a stepladder suffice?

8. Sincity

Sincity Member

Too dangerous. Theres a big drop to the right and the barrier is rotten