Best Masonry Drill Bits

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by spannerw, Sep 20, 2020.

1. spannerw

spannerw Screwfix Select

Morning All
    I need to drill several 6mm holes in my concrete garage floor. I do not have an SDS drill, just a normal hammer drill.
    Can anybody suggest a decent make drill bit please?

Thank you

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Bosch are good, they're all much over muchness in this capacity.

stuart44 likes this.
  3. stuart44

stuart44 Screwfix Select

When going into a really hard material it's about the drill as well. If I try and drill into a Chert wall(like Flint) my Bosch 2kg will burn out the bit, but using the big Titan it hammers through easily. A powerful drill hammers the bit in, whereas a weaker drill spins it and the end heats up too much.

Abrickie and koolpc like this.
  4. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

To drill a hole in concrete you really do need an SDS drill. No amount of drill bits can beat a proper drill machine like an SDS. My normal drill is resigned to drilling wood these days. Masonry and concrete SDS every time

5. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

You should be fine with a hammer drill and a decent bit: concrete in a garage floor not likely to be the best quality.

6. Ian1980

Ian1980 Member

Bosch blue multiconstruction bits are what i would use.

7. Ian1980

Ian1980 Member

8. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Disagree. Garage floor would be hard as rock. Bosch bits are good for brick, block, ceramic and wood. No good for concrete. You need an SDS.

Abrickie likes this.
  9. Ian1980

Ian1980 Member

You are welcome to disagree all you like however i have just taken some pics to show they handle concrete just fine.

Ps, note these holes were done with a battery drill and took seconds to go over an inch deep.

10. Ian1980

Ian1980 Member

Brb need to resize the images as the file size is too large

11. spannerw

spannerw Screwfix Select

Thanks for all the replies. Can’t really justify buying an SDS drill for 8 holes. I have ordered some Bosch as Jord suggested, will see what they are like tomorrow. Thanks again.

Ian1980 likes this.
  12. Ian1980

Ian1980 Member

13. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

With respect paving flags are not standard concrete they are made with very fine aggregate, sand and cement and are relatively easy to drill. The hole under the tiles was probably in a sand cement screed, not concrete. But obviously you managed to drill in to it.

14. Ian1980

Ian1980 Member

With respect, there was no tile, what you see is bitumen on top of.....

A concrete floor.

15. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Ok. I am wrong.

16. dinkydo

dinkydo Screwfix Select

thank god for that, thought this was gonna drag on and on :p