bathroom plywood floor in one piece?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by ahearsum, Sep 29, 2020.

1. ahearsum

ahearsum New Member

I'm remodelling the bathroom (smallish 2m x 1.7) as a wetroom. I'm replacing the whole floor: 24mm ply, 6mm tile backer board, electrical underfloor heating, self levelling stuff, 10mm porcelain tiles (300x 600). I may be able to lay the whole ply board (apart from the tray former) as one piece. Is there an advantage in having the ply substrate as one piece? Or as few pieces as possible? Or , indeed any disadvantages? I'm imagining that one piece would prevent the problems of movement between boards.

2. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Ply usually 1.2x2.4 so 1 piece wont fly.

Much easier to fix in in 2 bits because you can cut to length then scribe 1 edge to the wall/pipes etc as you have room to slide it back

3. ahearsum

ahearsum New Member

Haha yes, of course. I fired off that question without think about it 100%. I suppose the real question was: is one or two pieces of ply better than 3 or 4 in terms of rigidity of the floor or is it better to put down more boards with expansion gaps to allow for a bit of movement in the structure (assuming , that the tile backing board provides enough decoupling)?