101mph?

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by Gazowl1975, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Gazowl1975

Gazowl1975 Member

Been caught doing the above on M1 in van what will I be looking at anyone any first hand experience of doing similar ? Been a **** I know butvwas having a **** day and just drove like a idiot for a few minutes at a daft speed... Thanks lads

2. Timbo66

Timbo66 Active Member

3. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Hopefully points and a fine if it is your first offence I reckon.

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

5. spannerw

spannerw Screwfix Select

I understood anything over 3 figures is an instant ban when you go to court, sorry.
    When I got caught doing 127 on my motorbike many years ago I was told judge cant issue a ban and a fine, its one or the other.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Automatic ban and re take driving test.

7. Tell the judge you were in a hurry to carry out all the plumbing jobs you asked how to do on the screwfix forum, before you forgot how do do them.
    I am sure he will understand.

8. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

It is at the discretion of the court as to whether a ban is automatic although the default is a ban over 100 mph. If you were clocked at 101, just over the trigger, I think you would have a good chance of avoiding a ban if you can argue mitigation; for example that you need your licence for your job especially in these times. If you are banned, and I think it is unlikely, it may well be "only" for a very limited period.

Good luck.

9. Phantomwoodbutcher

Phantomwoodbutcher New Member

This is a subject my brother and I literally fell out over just last week, he works away contracting for my best pal who owns the company, sorted him the job to get his life back on track and give him a lifeline, anyway he's had spent motoring convictions over the years but had a clean licence at the time of the offence, 115mph on the m6.

He was racing home from work on Friday to make up time in a jam and got caught by a mobile van on a bridge, clear as day and can see him at the wheel, he got the court letter etc and I went mental, looked it up and came back anything over 100 is a instant ban.

Exceptional hardship was mentioned with his guilty plee and reportedly he got a fine and a few month ban as his job was majority driving focused. Not sure of all the little details but think he got off lightly imo, heard of friends i know getting much longer bans for just over 100.

10. welshblue

welshblue Active Member

Not the case ? I thought it was up to 56 day ban and 100% of weekly wages for a band C speeding offence. (Used to be 150%)

Hardship/ mitigation is at the discretion of magistrates as they'll argue you knew that 100mph plus could/ would be a ban.

That said, good luck ... I saw 2 speed aware vans hunting in pairs the other day a mile apart from each other on Country roads, a close call thanks to a friendly flash and thumb down from a passing motorist

11. dinkydo

dinkydo Screwfix Select

Most of the posts seem to have a sort of sympathy with the o p, my sympathy lies with his dependants if any who shall suffer if a ban ensues and he/she loses his/her lively hood and the chance that the taxpayer may end up paying some type of benefit,

but mostly my sympathy lies with the poor soul or family he wipes out in any collision, don’t get me wrong I’ve exceeded the speed limit myself but only by max 5 mph & when I’ve noticed I slow down,

I’ve always been in favour of a more flexible ban for perhaps a first offence, something like a curfew so that the ban would occur only at a weekend or evenings when the person was not working, obviously a 6 month ban would last a lot longer if only served at weekend but The ban would be in the form of hours not months, this would also keep the offender off benefits so as he she does not become a burden on the taxpayer

12. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

I've been shouted at for doing 4mph...

...I was on our narrowboat though!

13. Tuxmark2

Tuxmark2 Screwfix Select

4mph ? Try doing 6mph pushing a trolley towards a garden center's exit in the hope of a cheap escape before the Mrs clocks the Christmas decorations, now that is a shouting at !

Joe the Plumber likes this.