How to measure and build a new staircase...

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Halfaudio, Sep 28, 2020.

1. SoManyUserNames

SoManyUserNames Active Member

These are great machines, haven't used the biscuit cutter since getting one.

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

My mate has both models, superb invention I agree though the price of the dominos brings a tear to the eye. I've watched him make doors in his workshop with them, though I'm a traditionalist at heart it more or less made his mortiser obsolete overnight in the time saving.

3. SoManyUserNames

How does he get the wedges in alongside the tenon ends? maybe they make domino wedges! Yes, agree, traditionally most of the time, joiners have spent hundreds of years refining the art for it to be thrown out of the window, which nowadays you probably don't even need to open first!

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

The only domino wedge I've handled is a slice of pizza :) it is sad I agree but it's the way everything has gone though isn't it, how many joineries do you know of now that don't own or utilise a CNC machine? Very hard for them to compete, indeed a lot of the workforce now only needs to be semi-skilled with one time served old school joiner overseeing them. I imagine you must have done very well when you were creating curved and wreathed work, real bespoke items that the majority don't get involved in.

SoManyUserNames likes this.
  5. SoManyUserNames

I didn't do to bad, never worked in my life only done hobbies I get paid for. I still do heritage stuff as I enjoy that, hence running in and out of London this week, nice little one just off Park lane but yes I have been replaced by cnc companies making handrail, hence the website to keep the trade alive as much as possible, I will get back in the workshop soon and do a few videos without a cnc in sight.

Jord86 and Halfaudio like this.
  6. Halfaudio

Halfaudio Active Member

Installed Rhino software but it is going to take me sometime to figure it out but this should make things easier for you perhaps.
    I don't have the space for that feature tread (commode curtail) that black line in the middle is represents 960mm If i move over it that will become an trip hazard when i open the main doors it is already quite close but there is nothing i can do about it. Even if i would have that space i think it would look odd because everything around the staircase is square shaped including balusters.
    That looks beautiful on wide open staircase with lots of space i am trying to save every inch here unfortunately.

[​IMG]

7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Although my suggestion isn't conventional, I feel it's worth mentioning as personally I'm better at learning hands on whilst knee deep in cack rather than from an academic point of view..... Now you have established your rise, going and dimensions for your treads and risers, you may wish to remove all the stuff out of the stairwell temporarily and physically draw out the treads and risers on the wall going right the way up to the upper floor joists. This way you will have a life size reference for one side of the strings you can keep checking against rather than cut and router an entire staircase worth of timber to find you have misread a measurement and that all your hard work would only be fit for the log burner. Obviously this isn't the norm within the industry but as you live there and your time is flexible, it could be an aid rather than overloading your brain with the stair books you have dotted about.

Halfaudio likes this.
  8. SoManyUserNames

Not to worry that was just an example of the 3d models I can do if you don't have the cad. For the bits of the cad programme you want to use it will take minutes to learn, I will do a quick video for you, all you will need to know is how to select items, turn layers on and of and take dimensions, Probably a 2 minute video will have you up and running.

Halfaudio likes this.
  9. SoManyUserNames

A quick intro to rhino.

Had to put this on a video server. sorry 5 mins long but should get you going.

Halfaudio likes this.
  10. SoManyUserNames

Hi Jord, sorry nothing to do with this comment, just put a video up but have no idea how to hide the branding, thought I'd get your thoughts on if I should take it down? will ltry to figure out another way for future videos.

11. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Leave it up mate, it's pretty established now that you're not a spammer, if you are then you're the hardest working spammer on the forum ;)

12. SoManyUserNames

Hate spam can't get the lid off! Thanks again.

Jord86 likes this.
  13. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I've learned fairly recently that if you are trying to get a members attention on here, rather than calling them all the names under the sun if you put @ at the start of their name a little message pops up in their inbox to alert them of your post @SoManyUserNames

Sorry if that's telling you to suck eggs.

14. SoManyUserNames

@Jord86
    always new ways of learning how to suck eggs, no I didn't know that, Thanks again, again.

15. Halfaudio

Halfaudio Active Member

@SoManyUserNames
    Thx for the video i can't seem to make it larger!?
    I think i will fry my circuit or blow a fuse.My abilities on Pcs are slightly above average, even for a young bloke like me.
    I mean for real, there is so much going on, jesus... I will try my best to understand it, but don't shoot me if i don't :)

16. SoManyUserNames

Don't frazzle your brain with it, it can be useful but most of the good tradesmen I know can't even find the button to turn a pc on.

17. SoManyUserNames

K, time to start really twisting your melons.

Here is the start of drawing the stair rod, this will need to be drawn full size onto a sheet of ply, mdf will work but this is best done with different colour pens as I have done with the drawing, this will be used to mark the treads for cutting.
    You do not need to draw the full flight but you will need the winder areas.
    I have added some dims to get you going, have a look at this and let me know if it makes any sense at all, I have only added the wall string dims to one corner, the dims are for tread sizes so work from the 12mm deep housing that will be routed in.
    This will also help get an understanding of how the treads are going to be cut into the stringers and post.
    I have reduced your rear wall dimension by 30mm for wiggle room when setting the stairs in place, ideally, the staircase would be fitted before plastering and the wiggle room would be in the plaster line.
    I have also attached the Rhino file if you do want to play but do not stress over it as I can supply all the dims in images.

stair rod 1.jpg

Attached Files:

Jord86 likes this.
  18. SoManyUserNames

One more thing to check before we go too far, sorry so use to doing these live, I do forget a few bits I do on autopilot.
    just check the dim from by the door reveal to the opposite wall and make sure it is the same as the back wall corner to corner, check the angles in the corner are equal too or greater than 90ยบ.

check for square.jpg

Jord86 likes this.
  19. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Half audio next question to you should be Red or White? ;)

20. SoManyUserNames

Think I will buy half audio a pint if he does this, not many would attempt this.

Halfaudio and Jord86 like this.