Everything looks a bit bad in new kitchen :/

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Mancone, Oct 6, 2020.

1. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

looked like screw heads. anyway there is no way a pro kitchen fitter ( or half decent DIYer) would use those unless they were on a tight budget

Mancone likes this.
  2. Nanook

Nanook Active Member

You used MyBuilder, that’s where you went wrong. I made the same mistake a year ago with a big plastering project. The guy had great reviews, gave a competitive quote and seemed affable on first meeting. Cut a long story short but I ended up having to hire a new plasterer to hack off large areas and start from scratch. My experience last year was that MyBuilder take no responsibility if someone does a shoddy job. They may ban the tradesman from their site but as to getting money back or a legal recourse? Nope they weren’t interested.

I will never use MyBuilder again.

Mancone likes this.
  3. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

Obviously reviews are subjective. Some people are happy to see a shiny new kitchen compared to their old one and might not notice discrepancies unless pointed out to them.
    Often they care more about how polite or clean the worker is.
    You've also got to look at what field of work the reviews are for, if they relate to laying a patio or building a wall then perhaps not the best choice for fitting a kitchen.

Mancone likes this.
  4. AnotherTopJob

The screws don't appear to be straight. Not a fan of these trims either, but aren't they advisable near a hot area or somewhere that might be prone to damage?

Mancone likes this.
  5. Mancone

Mancone Member

I hate them and the units displayed at Wicks don’t have them.... so I’m going to remove.
    They wouldn’t have to be straight if they were hidden lol.

6. Mancone

Mancone Member

They were kitchens he did.

So I got recommendations from NextDoor site which equally turned out to be bad work. Again I checked Facebook reviews and google etc. That was for the bathroom.

7. AnotherTopJob

Yeah, the large gap and the the oven sitting lower makes them look unsightly. At least that means the heat shouldn't affect the edging too much.

Mancone likes this.
  8. Mancone

Mancone Member

I’ve never seen heat affect edging. How can a cooker be built into the worktop ok but when it’s a range it suddenly melts? Curious question.

9. AnotherTopJob

The worktop itself is fine, but the edging tends to come unstuck with heat and steam.

Mancone likes this.
  10. techie

techie Screwfix Select

That’s really awful....

Mancone likes this.
  11. Mancone

Mancone Member

Thankfully I have a spare worktop (over ordered). So at least I can get one side made longer. I don’t think it’s as easy as unscrewing the worktop as it will be glued together?

12. Nanook

Nanook Active Member

D261AB20-0A51-4C4E-9E74-FCF5630007C5.jpeg

Mancone likes this.
  13. goldwise

goldwise Active Member

I once used the FMB to find a builder for an extension. Coincidentally, he was known by a cousin, seemed trustworthy, experienced and reasonable so he got the job.
    His shoddy work resulted in a few stand up arguments in my garden between him and the building inspector. I reported him to the FMB and their local chief came to check his work.
    The builder's attempts to rectify his work were so pitiful that I gave up on him and did what I could myself.
    He still remained a member of the FMB. It seems that if you pay the fee there's little barrier to you calling yourself a master builder.
    Although that experience was a long time ago and I have since had better experiences, it's left me very wary.
    You might think you've found the ideal tradesman, then you find they've let one of their labourers do a job a skilled time-served tradesman should do.
    Would it be rude to ask 'who will actually be doing the job and what experience and qualifications do they have?'
    It shouldn't be, it's your money and you get to make the rules.
    Apologies to those here who take pride in their work. You know there are rogues out there. Some are just incompetent but others are maliciously incompetent.

Mancone likes this.
  14. Nanook

Nanook Active Member

Er no, it should be screwed together. Sometimes glue is used for added strength but if all the guy has used to fix the worktop in place is glue... you should get your money back as that is a right bodge.

Mancone likes this.
  15. Mancone

Mancone Member

I don’t know if it’s glued together, I just assumed it was.

So in theory i can undo the screws and put the worktop back together?

16. Nanook

Nanook Active Member

In theory.

You should look under the hood and see the inner workings of your worktops and how they have been fitted before making an attempt to remove it all. If he’s bodged other things then likely there is more bodges to find... sorry, but this is normally how it goes.

Mancone likes this.
  17. goldwise

goldwise Active Member

Also, who would risk posting a bad review about a tradesman? I'd worry there'd be repercussions. I'd tell them to their face if I wasn't happy. So you'll normally only see good reviews on mybuilder and checkatrade, etc.
    Even word of mouth referrals should be viewed cautiously. People won't always want to admit that someone's done bad work on their property.

18. Mancone

Mancone Member

Who’s saying that tradesmen weren’t told to their face?

19. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

It should be bolted (from underneath) and glued together unless one of those aluminium joining strips has been used for the corner.

That's a really good point. A number of fellow trades have suggested that I take someone on because my forward order book is full for several months however my view is that my customers are paying for me and most of not all say they are content to wait. I keep them informed if I get delayed and on a couple of occasions have suggested that they approach someone else because of that but they haven't done so. My tame electrician seems to spend half his time correcting work that his employees have screwed up - I would hate to be in that position.

Mancone likes this.
  20. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I have to say I think you've been unlucky. Seeing how you've used this forum over recent months to research things and find solutions to issues I'm guessing that you've put the same effort into finding trades to carry out work for you. I hope you find someone you can trust before too long.

Mancone likes this.