'Do not block' signpost at bottom of lane

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by pal123, Oct 9, 2020.

Tags:
  1. pal123

pal123 Member

I want to put a signpost at the bottom of a public lane to stop cars from parking near to the lane entrance and blocking access. This is in Wales.

There is a (1) grade 2 listed chapel wall, a (2) BT owned telegraph pole, and (3) my external water meter box all of which are possible places where a ground buried signpost 'do not block' or wall mounted signpost 'do not block' could be placed.

My neighbour on the other side of the lane will not assist in this.

Any advice as to whether I am likely to get permission to put a signpost/wall sign on (1), (2) or (3)? Thanks

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Think you should contact you local authority / council...

3. Alwaysworking

Alwaysworking Active Member

2) BT owned telegraph pole,

You’re not allowed to attach to a pole, nor should you dig near to it!

4. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Quiz question of the day....
    Why do telegraph poles have a small white tube fastened near the base? No Googling!

5. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Its so that they can put a stick of dynamite down it to fell the pole of course?

6. WillyEckerslike

Close. But no.

7. Tuxmark2

Tuxmark2 Screwfix Select

So the BT pole climber has somewhere to pee without leaving the tell tale puddle.

8. WillyEckerslike

Strangely not as close as kools. I thought they tucked their trousers into their boots to cover that scenario...

JayCee2020 likes this.
  9. Tuxmark2

Tuxmark2 Screwfix Select

Your going to keep us in suspenders now aren't you ? go on, why is the white tube there ?

JayCee2020 likes this.
  10. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Its an escape route if aliens attack while the engineer is up the pole!

11. Tuxmark2

Tuxmark2 Screwfix Select

I found the answer and seeing as Willy wont tell us, here it is. The pipe or conduits purpose is to give the pole climber in indication where the bottom of the pole is.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  12. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Maybe they should put another at the top ,a different colour,to indicate where the top of the pole is.

13. WillyEckerslike

Well that was fun.

It's actually so that when new posts are installed, the depth of the post can be checked to see if the installers have cut some of the post off the bottom. A rod of known length is inserted in the tube. If there was any pole missing the rod would bottom out too soon.

14. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Willy is wrong.

Its there to water the pole in drought conditions.

15. WillyEckerslike

Incidentally one of the managers needed to know how tall the posts were. One of the men said why don't you just measure from the top to the soil line on a post lying in the yard. Don't be silly man came the reply. I need its height, not it's length.

ramseyman and Tuxmark2 like this.
  16. Tuxmark2

Tuxmark2 Screwfix Select

Thats what the sky is for ;)

17. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Thought that was for getting live football and sports and things.

18. Tuxmark2

Tuxmark2 Screwfix Select

Fun for you but now I am stuck in the telephone pole appreciation website arrgghhhh !

terrymac likes this.
  19. Tuxmark2

Tuxmark2 Screwfix Select

What is this trickery you speak of ? I see clouds and birds, no football or 'things'

terrymac likes this.
  20. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

And what's all this to do with where our pal123 can put his sign . Put it up I say . Worst thing is you may have to take it down again.