Everything looks a bit bad in new kitchen :/

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Mancone, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Mancone

Mancone Member

Thank you.
    Getting my gable wall repointed next week. Nervous about it now.

oh don’t worry I just attract bad luck. Neighbour crashed into my Parked car, went to panel beaters and it came back with a huge scratch on it lol

2. Richard_

Richard_ Screwfix Select

On the plus side a car hasn't crashed into your new kitchen.

Yet

Mancone likes this.
  3. Mancone

Mancone Member

I’ve also asked on MoneySavingForum. They told me to use Next Door and also MyBuilder.

4. westerveld1

westerveld1 Member

I have zero experience at fitting kitchens and I wouldn't leave it like that in my own home.

Mancone likes this.
  5. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

I’ve had a couple of bad experiences with tradesman in my younger days when you don’t know any better.
    Now, I try most things myself (if possible) and I have very high standards. Luckily I have a few trusted friends who fill in the gaps in my skill set.

Mr Rusty and Mancone like this.
  6. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

+1. And the truth of it is in most cases you can do as good a job as a "professional" in the end. You just take a lot longer...

Mancone and candoabitofmoststuff like this.
  7. Mancone

Mancone Member

Put a review on MyBuilder with a video. He’s blocked me as well. I wonder if people would still use him.

8. Nanook

Nanook Active Member

Well done! My cowboy tradesman threatened me (I am female) so I kept my mouth shut as I was frightened.

Mancone likes this.
  9. Mancone

Mancone Member

He’s just blocked me.

10. Mancone

Mancone Member

Anyone have any idea what I can do? Obviously can’t get my money back but I need the kitchen fitting.....
    Anyone Manchester based?

11. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

It’s not obvious you cannot get money back is it? Write to him asking him to address the issues, send a couple of chasers. Get an alternative quote to fix the problems and then say if he doesn’t fix you’ll recover costs via small claims court. Then follow small claims process. It’s a well trodden path...

12. Mancone

Mancone Member

Not worth my time. I know it will go nowhere’s
    I can’t even get someone out to fix the problem.... how would I find a good kitchen fitter?

13. Nanook

Nanook Active Member

Ask your friends/work associates/neighbours for a recommendation of someone good they have used?

14. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

because? a) you don't believe small claims works or b) there was something not quite right in how you contracted with the fitter?

15. Mancone

Mancone Member

Both. Plus I’ve lost my phone do I don’t have text messages with everything....

Plus I can’t be bothered with the hassle as I’ve worked in law and see that most cases get no where.

Plus I’ve also got a personal issue at the moment.

16. Mancone

Mancone Member

I don’t have many people who have houses and next door website was a bit rubbish.

17. Nanook

Nanook Active Member

Yeah I know what you mean but what I’ve taken to doing is watching neighbours having work done and taking a note of the contractor doing it and if I think it’s a good job, I will contact said person to do the same for me. It’s a bit of a long-winded way round it I agree but I am so very fed up of having had one disaster happen after another that this is the best method I have found.

It pays to be friendly with your neighbours and chat about works, that’s what I’m discovering.

Mancone likes this.
  18. Mancone

Mancone Member

Right well let me tell you another story about my gate.... that was recommended by the carpenter lol

Nanook likes this.
  19. Mancone

Mancone Member

*recommended by the neighbor

20. Nanook

Nanook Active Member

Sorry Mancone, can’t suggest anything more to help. There is no golden rule to finding the right people, it’s trial and error but like I said if you trust someone else’s judgement to have work done on their property which they own and work hard to upkeep and you like what you see... it’s the best way to go about it in my humble opinion.

Mancone likes this.