Electrics for new understairs WC

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by macliam88, Oct 14, 2020.

1. macliam88

macliam88 Member

Hi guys,

im building a new understairs WC and theres never been electrics in that space before. I am of course wiring in a ceiling light and extractor fan under there but would like to know how to 'rough in' the wiring for an electrician to connect later?

I have the basics locked in already in terms of the light switch box and routing the wire (twin and earth) inside ducting in the stud wall and into the ceiling to the light fixture and fan.

1. is the wiring between switch light simple when there is a fan to loop in also? ( id be reasonably comfortable tacking this with a good guide that anyone could point me to?

2. when would the power to the light switch typically be picked up from? this part I will likely get an electrician in to do but would like to know where to plan the power from?

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

This kind of thing comes up time and time again. The problem you have is you can't just chuck in your wiring and then expect a sparks to come in and connect it all up and give you a certificate. A spark can only certify work he has done himself, not by anyone else. If he did he would be taking responsibility for the work you have done. Your work might be top dollar but how is he going to know that?

The common answer is to get a spark to check your work as you do the job or get third party certification, but it seems you have already completed the work so this is not really an option. In any case I have never heard of anyone being able to complete a job successfully in this way.

3. macliam88

macliam88 Member

Thanks coloumb. I actually haven’t started this part of the job but I won’t if that’s the case.

where though would a sparky typically get the power from for a new understairs toilet? Do they try and go all the way back to the mains box or split off nearer wiring?

4. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Typically it would be taken from the lighting circuit. The sparks would have to make an accessment of the current loading but tbh you would need A LOT of lights on the existing ctt. to have to install a whole new ctt just for a bog light and fan. If you want a socket this would probably come from the nearest ring final.

Good luck!

macliam88 likes this.
  5. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I looked at title and thought oh one of those Japanese WC's with all the electrics built in. [​IMG] seems your not that high tech. But same applies, get the electrician in at design stage, let him tell you what you can do.

6. Tuxmark2

Tuxmark2 Screwfix Select

That's is what's known as a Japanese multifunction bum tickler, I don't think it would be robust enough to stand up a good curry night, nor it is wise to use one after beer, one may press the wrong button and quickly sober up.

To the OP, seek the assistance of your electrician, have a chat about what you require and how best to get the cable in, you know your house better than he does, then let him decide this is possible and the route is viable.

Don't wack in cable without his or her advice nor consent, I had to rip out a new cable to small room because while the two cables where suitable, the route was not, customer was not very pleased.

macliam88 likes this.
  7. macliam88

macliam88 Member

Thanks gents.

8. Mediator

Mediator New Member

Trying not to be too graphic, but after a good curry night what that device has to deal with isn't robust.

A more valid concern is whether it complies with UK water regs - check with the plumber forum.