Kerf cutting skirting boards

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by JayCee2020, Nov 1, 2020.

1. JayCee2020

JayCee2020 Active Member

I would appreciate carpenters' advice. I recently had my skirting boards replaced, one of which needed to bend around a curved wall in my hallway. The joiner has applied the kerf cuts to the outer-moulded side of the skirting board and then once glued in place has filled in the kerfs with poly filler. It looks awful. The beautiful curve of the moulding is gone, they've attempted to sand it down and it's misshapen.

Am I right in saying that the kerf cuts need to be on the inside of the skirting to allow for natural movement together when the skirting is placed around the curved area of the wall?

As it is one of the focal points of my hallway and very noticeable, am I justified in insisting it is removed and replaced?

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Before doing anything have a look at video's on You Tube for a better idea of how it should be achieved and look once finished, then go from there with your decision.

JayCee2020 likes this.
  3. JayCee2020

JayCee2020 Active Member

Thanks Astramax, will head there now. Thanks for the nods up.

4. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

For a moulded skirting IMO it is better to kerf from the outside and then carefully fill the very small gaps that should remain. Done well, it is almost invisible. I've never needed to do this myself, but whoever did the house we have just moved from did a fantastic job kerfing a torus moulded pine skirt into a curved bay window. The kerfing was virtually invisible.

Sounds to me like whoever did yours isn't the most skilled at doing it.

JayCee2020 likes this.
  5. JayCee2020

JayCee2020 Active Member

Have checked out some videos, it seems there's no wrong side as such to apply kerf cuts - some apply them internally, some externally. I guess it's the filler that's the issue now, despite two lots of sanding it's pig ugly and rougher than a runner's corns. I'll have to have a go and see if I can sand it down to a more presentable surface.

6. JayCee2020

JayCee2020 Active Member

Thanks for your reply, Mr Rusty. Having watched some of the videos on youtube, it's incredible how people can perfect those cuts and leave the skirtings looking so smooth that no one would ever know there were over a dozen or so cuts filled in before they were sanding down. It really is an art form. I was gutted at having to lose the original skirtings when the plastering to the hallway was done recently and manufacturers don't make them in that size any longer either. It really does make a person appreciate seeing beautiful skirtings on convex walls.

Astramax likes this.
  7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

A 2 part filler would have been a better choice for filling and shaping.

JayCee2020 likes this.
  8. JayCee2020

JayCee2020 Active Member

Aye, I'm not sure how I'm going to remedy this skirting. I'll have to have a chat with the joiner next week to discuss the way forward. Thanks for your replies, Astramax.

9. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

https://www.skirting4u.co.uk/6-skirting-boards what size and shape don't they make?

10. JayCee2020

JayCee2020 Active Member

My original skirtings were 12", the joiner that's replaced my sub-floor joists and skirting boards told me that size isn't made any longer and he's put on skirtings which are 6". Thanks for the link, Mr Rusty. I'm going to give them a ring and see whether they can provide that width and convex a length if I provide the measurements.

11. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

They can certainly produce 12" skirts, but they won't curve it for you.

JayCee2020 likes this.
  12. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

if using mdf could you not wet it then bend it over a few days

JayCee2020 likes this.
  13. JayCee2020

JayCee2020 Active Member

I'm going to get myself a circular saw and have a play about on some hard wood lengths before I attempt a skirting board. I have a few other projects in mind, too. I've always wanted one so now seems as good a time as any to get one and learn through trial/error - hopefully with all digits intact ;) I have a penchant for hard woods, just love the look, smell and feel of it, then a good wax or varnish. The more I think about it, the keener I am to give it a go, Ginger.

ginger tuffs likes this.
  14. JayCee2020

JayCee2020 Active Member

I'm just about to order myself a circular saw and have a play about before attempting a skirting board. I think that's going to be the best solution for me, I get the type of wood I want, I'm pretty good at filling in and there are some great wood fillers on the market. I think the effort is going to be worth it. If I do pull this off, I'll post a picture :D

15. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Far easier with a sliding mitre saw if you can run to one of them (or is that what you mean) - make sure it has a depth stop - not all do.

JayCee2020 likes this.
  16. JayCee2020

JayCee2020 Active Member

As you can tell, I have no clue when it comes to power tools. I just thought it was a standard circular saw, how naive was that? Thanks for the pointer, I've looked up sliding mitre saws and they are doable price-wise, and will make sure it has a depth stop. Would this be a good one for me to get in your opinion, Mr Rusty?
    Erbauer 1400W 220-240V 210mm Sliding mitre saw EMIS216S

17. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Surely on a convex wall the skirting should have been cut on the inside as that will be the side under compression allowing the gaps to close.
    On a concave surface the face edge would be cut.
    I don't believe that your joiner knew what he was doing, or, he has simply screwed up on this occasion and should therefore put it right.

JayCee2020 likes this.
  18. JayCee2020

JayCee2020 Active Member

Hi Longboat, I had thought I was right in my original post, but the videos I've watched on YouTube show kerf cutting either side so now I'm not sure - one guy was doing a tutorial for a convex wall and while he did the lower cuts on the inside, the top ones were all the way through, filling once he'd glued it on. All I do know is that my new skirting board is awful and as that was his third attempt (snapped the first two), it's clear it's not going to get any better. When I get my sliding mitre saw and have practised enough to feel competent to attempt a skirting board, I'll do the trenches on the inside.

I'll be seeing the joiner tomorrow and will see what he has to say when we have a chat about the eyesore in my hallway.

19. SoManyUserNames

SoManyUserNames Active Member

If you have a good joinery shop near you they will make the skirting follow the wall, this will be carved from a solid block and molded, a bit more expensive but you will have your original molding back. I have attached a pic of a curved skirting run round a landing. may a bit bigger curve than your bay window but any size is possible.
    Shame about the decorators and bloomin cork guns!!

before skirting applied.jpg Curved skirting.JPG

JayCee2020 likes this.
  20. SoManyUserNames

SoManyUserNames Active Member

To answer your question about cutting from the back or the face, with moldings, when cutting from the back the molding will have gaps through making it weak, when cutting from the face there will still be a strip of material left throughout the entire height of the board including the molded section, you will still have to be carefull filling it or you could snap the mold off.
    I have attached a quick visual as an explanation, hope this helps.

kerf cut .jpg

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    JayCee2020 likes this.