Worktop shocking quality

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Mancone, Nov 3, 2020.

1. Mancone

Mancone Member

I’ve purchased a worktop from Worktop Express and it’s developed small chips in it. It’s a laminate worktop and a few days after it was installed it has a rather large chip in it. Than all these smaller ones appeared. It’s a laminate worktop so should be hard wearing.

I’m getting no where with Worktop Express. How can I escalate?!

2. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Post up some pics

are you sure the chips were not down to the fitter?

3. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

To add balance, I brought mine from the same company, the only problem was a slight bow in the 4m length when delivered.

4. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

The other way to look at it is the chips have arisen a few days after it was installed. So what has been used on the worktop since it was installed. Worktops don’t self chip

5. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

Citizens advice or small claims i would suggest.
    So long as they were not caused by the fitter though it sounds like this is not the cause.

6. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

trouble is the OP has said on a public forum that the worktop was fine when installed and only chipped later so the question is what caused the chip? Putting a knife and fork down then yes the worktop is not good enough. Rough use by a tiler say who has dropped tiles in it, well that’s not a worktop issue. I have no clue as to the cause but the best way forward is for the OP to show us pictures and describe the use since installed

7. Mancone

Mancone Member

8. Mancone

Mancone Member

I’ve not got tiles

9. Mancone

Mancone Member

the worktop doesn’t have that thick plastic coating imo. Worktop express refuse to believe me.

10. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

So as they were not present when installed. What has been placed on the worktop to give rise to the chips?

11. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

Curious as to how much the worktop was / how long and wide. And assuming the chips are on the top surface and not the front edge?????
    I used to make one off worktops.

12. Red Star Boats

Red Star Boats Active Member

Have used Worktop Express a good number of times and can only say my experience has been all positive, extensive range with options within, fair pricing, good service and reliable delivery. Sorry Mancone but do you ever feel cursed?

13. Mancone

Mancone Member

Welcome to my life! Yes nothing goes right. Ever.

14. Mancone

Mancone Member

15. Mancone

Mancone Member

usual worktop activities. The big chip may have been caused after I put on a plastic storage box with the food in it. Shouldn’t cause that much damage though.

It feels like the top layer of plastic is missing.

I’ve argued blue in the face and they won’t budge.

16. Mancone

Mancone Member

have you had any quality issues?

17. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

It may have looked ok immediately after fitting, but maybe the surface had been damaged slightly beforehand and not yet developed into those chips?
    Have you got an offcut to test, to see if that's easy to chip?

18. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

It's not easy to chip a laminate worktop unless the chipboard is damaged underneath the laminate, or there ws a piece of loose chip causing a small bulge, but you would easily have seen this prior to installing......... (Unless one is trying to damage it of course, which you wouldn't).
    They are the price of reasonable to good quality worktops too.

19. Mancone

Mancone Member

No maybe the video isn’t clear. They are happening over time, over three weeks.

20. Mancone

Mancone Member

What’s at the top of the worktop? It’s like that layer is missing. Also if I run my hand down the side of the worktop it’s bumpy. I can feel a piece of chipboard as well.