Worktop shocking quality

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Mancone, Nov 3, 2020.

1. Mancone

Mancone Member

I copied and pasted. They made the typo. I’m illiterate so I didn’t notice their mistake.

2. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Mmmmmmmmmmm :rolleyes:

just pumps likes this.
  3. Red Star Boats

Red Star Boats Active Member

I don’t see you have a choice how to proceed, if everything is as you say and the “damage” has appeared after the fact, there is nothing to hide and everything to gain from allowing the manufacturer to examine the goods, further if this goes to litigation and you haven’t given them the opportunity to examine them properly you will be on very thin ice. Small claims court expects both sides to have entered into dialogue and sought to find a conclusion prior to proceedings. If either party can be shown to have been unreasonable or not sincerely tried to find a solution the court is minded to take a dim view. Maybe they have thought more about this possibility and that is why they now are offering a site visit.

candoabitofmoststuff likes this.
  4. Mancone

Mancone Member

Thanks

I can see the manufactures stating it’s all due to impact and I get no refund. I will go through the process :)

I want to have a bit more control over the situation and be a bit more difficult.
    1) ask for a report showing how much impact was done to cause the five different area of chips
    2) how the worktop was tested to made sure it was made of all components? I feel like a top layer is missing.
    Anything else?

5. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

Some typo, manufacturer to decor......
    Anyway, why wouldn't you want them to come and view the damage to the tops.
    It may be the only way you get a solution.

just pumps likes this.
  6. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Being "a bit more difficult" isn`t going to help the cause.

7. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

i would accept the offer of a site visit. the manufacturer doesnt need to do this as the responsibility rests with the retailer. Accept the offer and take it from there

Mancone likes this.
  8. Red Star Boats

I can understand you want more control but I’m not sure you will get it.
    You may be surprised by what the manufacturer says / does, it’s good they are coming it means they’ve invested some time and cost, be Utterly charming, flutter your eyelashes, whatever, you will probably find that they start to think along the lines of, we’re in this for X amount so far, for another couple of hundred quid we can make this go away and she’s ever so nice........
    Be awkward and objectionable and you will probably find them digging their heels in regardless.

experience has taught me to start every complaint with, “ I’m sorry to have to do this But I really need your help with this small problem...........
    You would be amazed at the positive response you get when you don’t start along the lines of “ I want to speak to the manager......

I’m para phrasing but I’m sure you understand the principle of what I’m trying to say..

Good luck

9. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

I would suggest maybe you nip to any other local suppliers that stock worktops to see if you see any similarities or differences between yours and other ones, hopefully in the same colour.
    You mentioned earlier a plastic coating maybe missing. Worktops do not have a plastic coating.
    Gloss worktops are generally supplied with a plastic coating but this would still be removed once fitted, otherwise it would melt.
    I know, bit of a 81tch with lockdown....

Mancone likes this.
  10. Mancone

Mancone Member

This is what I imagine happening.
    They come and visit, have a look, go back to work.
    Email from Worktop Express telling me it’s my fault.

So as others suggested on the thread that I can ask questions such as “how much impact protection should the worktop offer” etc can show that I’m going to not take this lying down. It’s a worktop that costs £95.83 (excluding VAT)... so very cheap and why spend so much time on it. I’ve already stated I’m willing to have store credit.

11. Mancone

Mancone Member

There is the top layer of worktop that’s hard wearing, it appears to be missing that. I searched long and hard for worktops, decided on a worktop I never saw (probably my issue lol rolls eyes).

12. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Maybe you havn't read the OP's other threads, but there is some history to this and i'll lay it out as i see it.
    The OP posted this thread: https://community.screwfix.com/threads/everything-looks-a-bit-bad-in-new-kitchen.230385/
    Clearly when you see the pics, it's obvious the worktop and upstands were badly fitted and the fitter was an idiot. I'll leave you to come to your own conclusion after you have read the thread.
    After the OP had not got the "fitter" back, he/she posted this thread: https://community.screwfix.com/threads/diy-kitchens-bait-and-switch.230713/#post-1854545
    As we already know the kitchen was badly fitted in the first place, it would not be beyond the imagination that the issues in this thread are likely down to the "fitter" as well.
    Then we come to the thread before the one we are in : https://community.screwfix.com/threads/how-do-i-sort-out-this-corner-disaster.230966/#post-1857396
    Clearly yet another fitting issue.

The reason i'm posting this is very simple really, unfortunately for the OP he/she has had a kitchen fitted very badly. The fitter has done a bunk and won't be coming back. We now have a few different threads showing the issues, one of those threads trying to offload blame for things onto DIY Kitchens and this thread trying to offload blame onto Worktop Express. I put it that none of these problems are down to either, they are caused by the fitter.
    I'll also add the following, when the manufacturer sees the worktops, upstands and standard of fitting they will reject any claim and rightly so.

Jord86 likes this.
  13. just pumps

Like you I have read every post and agree up to the last line where should there be found a fault with the worktop I would hope the manufacture would admit to the failure however I`m not holding my breathe.

14. Red Star Boats

Kitfit
    Can’t disagree with you at all. I my own round about way I was trying to point out to the op that really her best option is to appeal to the suppliers better nature and hope for a goodwill settlement.
    For many years I took care of warranty issues for a major UK boatbuilder and my life was plagued by boat owners who made no effort to care for or maintain their boats and when things went wrong looked to everyone but themselves for responsibility, coupled to what I believe today is called an “entitled” attitude made for some quite interesting situations. I can’t help but feel a little de ja vue here.

15. Mancone

Mancone Member

The worktop quality don’t concern the fitter or DIY.
    There are a couple of issues. The chips that weren’t there when they finished fitting and they have been happening over the past few weeks. The worktop vertical side is bumpy. The worktop colour is patchy.

The rest of your posts doesn’t concern the worktop and it’s just your opinion. I’m thankful that people have told me online what needs to be done so I know all is not lost with the kitchen.

16. just pumps

Sounds like your opinion is the only one that knows best!
    Remind me why did you come here again.

17. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

With all due respect @Mancone, you came here and posted threads because you were looking and asking for opinions. As a kitchen fitter of well over 30 years, i think i am more than qualified to offer an opinion. If those opinions don't match with the answer you want to hear, tuff.

18. Mancone

Mancone Member

Entitled? I purchased a worktop and it’s below quality. I’ve asked WE for store credit and they’ve refused. The fitter isn’t concerned with the worktop developing the chips - I would have noticed and more have been offering after the first big one.

19. Mancone

Mancone Member

you can offer your opinion and I can respond.

20. Mancone

Mancone Member

It’s not an opinion when it’s happening in my house and I’m describing factual events.... and of course I will defend myself.