FA Chairman resignation- Yet another strange case of alleged racism

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by unphased, Nov 10, 2020.

1. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I saw the news clips about what he said. Couldn't see it myself. Anyone else? Isn't thus really a biased situation now? Best not to mention anything at all.

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Ditto. I read it three times via the BBC website which I really must stop doing as I loathe them and still couldn't see a trigger. In fact some of his comments were calling possible trolls against black footballers 'filthy racists'. Its a shame he apologised just to satisfy the PC clicque because if he knew he wasn't out of order he should have dug his heels in and fought the accusations.

3. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

What got me was the claims of 'a string of racist comments' made by the media. Its called spin doctoring in parliament. I call it media assasination. Disgusting slur on the poor bloke.

4. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Think there should be a referendum amongst non whites( can I say that) to ask them what they wish to be described as, blacks, coloured or BMEs, or something else, I doubt you would get a consensus of agreement so what chance have we got of getting it right?

Tilt and gadget man like this.
  5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Black is classed as an absence of colour or a shade (same as white) so where do we go from there? o_O Wheres Astramax or Wayners with their colour charts? :rolleyes:

6. Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent Member

You've done it now!! Bobby Dazzler will be along soon and turn this into a 10 page lecture.

Abrickie and Jord86 like this.
  7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I think after the last one, most people on here now can't see his posts anyway.

Abrickie and WillyEckerslike like this.
  8. sally green

sally green Active Member

Bottom line, the clown resigned no one forced him. Therefore, he is the one to blame IMHO. If he felt he did nothing wrong, then if I was in his position, I would not resign. He has not helped the situation.

We need an interview qwith him ask him why he felt the need to resign. Looking at his comments, man of his status should have known better.

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Simmer down, play the white man.

Severntrent and gadget man like this.
  10. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It means .....be truthful.

12. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler Active Member

As supposedly, many won't see my comments, they won't object to the content of my posts. :rolleyes:

The terminology used, and the attitude displayed by the FA Chairman is outdated and considered offensive by most.
    Not only his recent attitude, but also his previous attitude to systemic racism, describing it as 'fluff', and now blaming his outdated terminology and attitude, as a product of his experience is tantamount to him excusing his 'bigotry' to be of little consequence.

Now if posters such as those above display such little concern for that behaviour, it has some consequences on society in general.
    When the chairman of an organisation such as the FA, display such ignorance, it says a lot about the sincerity of that organisation to address issues such as systemic racism, and has massive consequences throughout that organisation, which in turn, impacts massively on society as a whole.

For those that do not realise and understand the implications of such a representative of such a body, failing to observe the etiquette of modern society, indicates how endemic systemic racism is.
    For those that choose to make light-hearted comments about such serious issues, displays their lack of concern for racism, and their fellow men.

Yet again it is the same few posters who seek to deny that racism exists, or seek to belittle it effects.
    Perhaps you should go back to DIYnot where your attitudes may be more appreciated.

13. Bobby Dazzler

It's another saying with racist connotations.
    No surprise it's used by some.

Play the white man is a phrase used in parts of Britain meaning to be decent and trustworthy in one's actions.
    A similar expression, originating in the southern United States in the 20th century, is that's mighty white of you and variations, with the meaning of "thank you for being fair." Because of its racist connotations, since the mid-to-late 20th century it has mostly been used ironically when used at all
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Play_the_white_man

"The term is considered to be extremely derogatory against non-white people because it carries the implication that they are indecent or untrustworthy"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:play_the_white_man

14. Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent Member

Told you all so. He's turned up!!

15. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Using the word "coloured" is certainly outdated due to its connection these days with historic repression and slavery. However there is a certain irony that "coloured" was used instead of "black" within living memory because describing someone as "black" was considered rude.

16. FraserD

FraserD Active Member

A person of colour is fine, but a coloured person is wrong.

I can't keep up.

17. Bobby Dazzler

Only used by white people because it was the more polite term than other words used.

The term was common parlance in the 1960s, but its origins are the problem, says Mr Agbetu. It comes from the ideology of racism, that white people are white, and everyone else is somehow other coloured. It fails to recognise that everyone has an ethnicity and is an inadequate "one-size-fits all" description.

Nor was it a term chosen by those it refers to, but instead imposed by the wider - and white - society.

Those who still use the term tend to be from older generations, he says, but adds that if they knew the history of the word, perhaps they would think again.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6132672.stm

18. Bobby Dazzler

Obviously you can, but you choose not to.

Perhaps Gregg Clarke could have kept up, but he chose not to. Unforgivable for someone in his position.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  19. Bobby Dazzler

Obviously you're not one of the 'most people'.

Instead of railing against those who decry racism, how about railing against racism?
    Or is that not your preferred penchant?

20. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

"Coloured" was often used, as I said, because it was seen as more polite than using "black"; in those days it was common to regard the use of the word "black" as racist. You have misunderstood my point, my point was not that using "coloured" is acceptable or that I disagree with you on its use.