Fitting mortice lock

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Jay459, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Jay459

Jay459 Member

Is it possible to get a mortice lock with euro lock on internal firedoors.

Need to add a lock to kitchen door and must be keyed on both sides with escutcheons.

Just wondering if euro locks are possible on internal doors

2. Jay459

Jay459 Member

3. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

you want a euro lock handle, plus whichever length euro cylinder is suitable for your door + handle thickness

4. Jay459

Jay459 Member

So you have to change handle?

Maybe ill just go for basic mortice lock then as thought you could do it with lock and escutcheon

5. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

you've picked in your link a euro mortice that has the latch also - of you don't want to change the door handle, then you want a euro profile deadlock without the latch. Then you can get separate escutcheon.
    eg https://www.screwfix.com/p/smith-lo...profile-deadlock-64mm-case-44mm-backset/3965p

6. Jay459

Jay459 Member

7. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

8. Magjul

Magjul Member

Is this fire door on an escape route?? If so , MUST NOT be locked.........

9. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

if you do fit a lock it as to be a firerated lock

10. Jay459

Jay459 Member

Its just a lock for my kitchen door which has outdoor access from either side. Just need a lock to keep my infant son from accessing kitchen, euro lock seems best as i dont think he will pull key out as easily.

I ordered the lock without the latch btw.

Door is 44mm, escutcheon is 6mm on each side, so thats 56mm and ive ordered a 60mm euro lock.

Does this sound ok?

11. Jay459

Jay459 Member

Are you sure about this? My joiner is calling to do this next week and he said your best of fitting one thats combined. He sees no reason why you would be changing door handle if you did

12. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

So does your existing door handle allow enough space below it for a seperate escutcheon to fit into the mortice lock? It's unlikely, hence you either get a mortice lock with the latch, and get a handle which accommodates the lock.... Or you have a seperate latch and mortice lock, in which case the lock can placed anywhere that space allows