Putting sand into block pavers

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by CCooperTech, Nov 19, 2020.

1. CCooperTech

CCooperTech New Member

Hi all,
    My first post here but I always found it a good source of information (and entertainment).
    I had a block paving driveway laid about a month back, but due to damp weather they didn't put the kiln dried sand in and asked if I'd do it.
    Over a month later and the blocks have not dried at all, we have only had 2 days where it has not rained and they did not dry on those days.
    I cannot infill the block and therefore cannot use the drive.
    Question: Is there any way to force block paving to dry out enough to put sand into the joints?

2. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

You mean they didn't install under floor heating?????? :)

No help re the sand, but I think the idea is to not stain the blocks when they are wet.

3. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

It's to do with the sand getting right down between the blocks so that they get locked together by friction with each other. That's what makes it a flexible paving system and spreads the load over multiple blocks - almost like a floating concrete slab above a layer of sand over a layer of MOT Type 1.

You are right not to drive on it yet as the individual blocks aren't locked to their neighbour so you risk pushing them into the sand substrate and creating an uneven surface. If it doesn't become dry enough soon you could lay some plywood boards down to spread the load but they won't be much use for anything else after a while so it could prove expensive.

masterdiy likes this.
  4. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

If the area is just damp rather than wet, a roofers torch works

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  5. WillyEckerslike

I've tried that before but it seemed to bring salts out of the blocks which discoloured them a little. It could have been too wet and I was trying to get them too hot I suppose.

Much as I love working outdoors whenever I can, it doesn't take long on an indoor project before the weather forecast isn't your first waking and last bedtime thought....

6. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

It’s a case of small areas at a time, and low heat, ideally a 2 person job ( 1 brush 1 torch). :)

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Wrong...it's 3 men, you forgot the bloke with the tweezers.:cool:

8. WillyEckerslike

That's a different crack Astra...

Astramax likes this.
  9. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

And the 4th Guy that shovels the sand.....

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

..one grain at a time sweet Jesus, one grain at a time...who sang that?

11. WillyEckerslike

Was it the 'Beach' Boys?

Astramax likes this.
  12. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Me, on day rate ;)

Astramax likes this.
  13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Thought they sang 'Mr Sandman'.:oops:

14. welshblue

welshblue Active Member

Sad knowing this ... Lena Martell ... and now I can't get the original out of my head

Astramax and WillyEckerslike like this.
  15. WillyEckerslike

I was wrong. It was Adam and the Ants - Sand and deliver.

CCooperTech, welshblue and Astramax like this.
  16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

1954 Vaughn Monroe and his Orchestra, later in the same year it was sung by The Chordettes, also Dickie Valentine recorded it in the same year.

welshblue likes this.
  17. welshblue

welshblue Active Member

Never post on pain meds' ... I had One Day At a Time in my head when I should have been thinking of the Lynne Hanson One Grain At a Time (don't know if it's the same song)

18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It'll do! :D

19. CCooperTech

CCooperTech New Member

20. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

The nights are now cold and damp, same in the morning to around 10ish, on a good day, a little warmth to around 3ish, cold and damp from then onwards (all this you know I’m sure):)

So only a small window of dry, warmish weather on the days that are favourable so not much opportunity for the blocks to fully dry

I would just go for it on a day that has been proceeded by a couple of dry days and it’s reasonably warm in the middle of the day

Nothing can really go wrong, even though it’s not ideal weather conditions. The kiln dried paving sand won’t stain the blocks as it’s washed and clean sand and usually light, almost white in colour (done mine around a month ago, Tarmac Paving Sand

As above, ideally you want the blocks fully dry and a warm day so the sand flows like in an egg-timer and fully fills the gaps between the blocks

Damp blocks will make the sand damp and some will flow but also clump and more than likely not achieve a full depth fill

Keep brushing and I also tapped my drive with a fencing post to rattle the sand down into the blocks

Top up the sand in the spring when it’s settled and better weather has arrived

I’m thinking some will be better than none

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    CCooperTech and stevie22 like this.