The White Stuff!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by 5murf, Nov 19, 2020.

1. 5murf

5murf New Member

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can identify this white stuff that blocked up my shower and tap to the point the water was a trickle coming out of it.

The cold water side is clean, not a trace of it.

The hot water comes from an Megaflo Unvented Cylinder.

Any suggestions on what it is and how to eliminate it?

Attached Files:

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It's the white plastic air seperator which is disintigrating apparently a new cylinder is required but maybe under warranty, best contact megaflow.

JayCee2020 likes this.
  3. 5murf

5murf New Member

Thanks for the answer. Do you mean a whole new Megaflo Unvented Cylinder? Or is there a part that needs replacing?

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I understand it to be the whole cylinder, how old is it?

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Picture 3
    Now, if you’d dug that out of the plug hole I could have hazard a guess :eek:

Was it the plug hole ?

6. 5murf

5murf New Member

It was installed in 2009, about 11 years old. I bought this house last year and the first thing I done was service the boiler. The plumber told me to turn it off and get a new one, the previous owner had not serviced it at all in the 10 years they lived at the property, and so there is also no record of this cylinder ever being serviced, which means no warranty.

A Baxi plumber organised through Heatrae Sadia came to look at the cylinder today because of the "low pressure" I was experiencing, and gave the cylinder the all clear before leaving and telling me that the issue was with another part of the system. Wants to charge me £90 for the call out charge but I won't be paying that now!

That's why I started taking taps and showers apart to find out what was blocking it.

7. 5murf

5murf New Member

No, that is not out of the drain hole. That is out of the filter before the hot water enters the tap and shower valves.

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

A few reports of this megaflow white stuff on Google.

9. 5murf

5murf New Member

Update: It was the baffle (air separator) inside the tank disintegrating. Cylinder Replaced.

JayCee2020 likes this.
  10. Rbarn

Rbarn New Member

5murf we have had the same problem with our MegaFlow - purchased the same year as yours. Did Heatrae replace it for you?

11. 5murf

5murf New Member

They did replace it, but I had a cover policy.