Forum Support Posting images

Discussion in 'Support' started by furious_customer, Nov 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

A lot of folk seem to have trouble posting images due to filesize.
    An image taken on a modern smartphone could be 7Mb+, and resizing images is a pain.

Would it be possible to accept the large upload, then re-size the image server-side, attach it to the post and discard the original large file?

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Agreed. Having to log into a photo hosting site to view images is a pain as well. CBA a lot of the time.

Kingscurate likes this.
  3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I disagree.

Lit photo app on android and compress it to 40% works with upload a file. One of the other forums I know off allows photos to upload and it's terrible. Can take several minutes for one picture to appear and if op has loaded several, I give up waiting as can take ages. Also a forum hosting loads of photos will get hot linked (used elsewhere) plus the storage cost and bandwidth will be way more to run.

On pc just open image with photo editing software. File. Save as. Compress when option appears.
    Don't know know about iPhone apps.

I use photo hosting myself but compress the photo before I upload for speed, but most should just use the upload a file option here after using something likely lit photo.

4. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

I generally just use Mspaint for simplicity, open the file, resize to say 1200 pixels width, select the area you want and cut and paste straight in.

5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Dont most use phone vs pc though?

6. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Point taken!

7. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Just open image and then file, save as, and you should see option to compress..

I can take phone. Compress. Upload to imgur hosting. Copy link and paste in forum in about 30 second now. It took me several weeks trying to work out how to do it though. It's not easy to work out... I keep thinking ill make video how to.

8. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

The idea is not to allow large images onto a thread - it's just that the server will do the job of resizing the images not the user.
    We are the masters and the computers should work for us - for the time being anyway!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.