Fitted bookcase - dealing with unlevel floor and ceiling

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by PK1, Nov 21, 2020.

1. PK1

PK1 New Member

Morning team
    I'm building a large floor to ceiling cupboard/bookcase to house all the books I don't own along one wall. The floor is out massively, but I'm able to level that out nicely by scribing the kickboard under the lower level cabinets. But the ceiling is also out 20mm from left to right.
    Going for a clean modern look so there's no mouldings to hide that.
    So my options are to build it so left and right are the same height and deal with the the small gap at the top - will I actually notice that?
    Or build it to match the ceiling height so the top runs parallel with the ceiling and then adjust the shelf spacing down the left by a few mm each to account for the shorter side. - Will my eye pick up on a few mm?

I think the 2nd option is best, any thoughts?

2. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Possibly... But I suspect you'll notice uneveness in the shelf spacing more.

What's the span of the 20mm difference?

Cando

3. PK1

PK1 New Member

It's across 3.5m

None of the picture rails I put up a few weeks ago are actually level, but they all look level if that makes sense

4. Dan Parkinson

Dan Parkinson Active Member

I'd build it square then cut a tapered filler piece for the top. 20mm - 40mm

5. Shytot

Shytot Active Member

My Brain doesn’t do out of level or plumb . So I would build it on a level plinth and scribe bottom and ceiling