Room heating to 28 degrees when stat is on holiday mode and heating in that room shouldn’t come on.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Chrissymx5, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Chrissymx5

Chrissymx5 New Member

Does anyone know what the problem could be? The plumber has changed some bits and pieces but not sure what. Stat has been changed, could it be the sensor, is this easy to check? This has been a problem from when it was it was installed more than three years ago. I’m losing my patience now and dread asking the plumber to call yet again but I’m heating a room to a ridiculous temperature when the room is never uses. Help!

2. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Need more info about the system.
    If the system is zoned then that could be affecting it.

3. Chrissymx5

Chrissymx5 New Member

Yes it is zoned, complete new system in a new house.

4. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Maybe the room is controlled by the other stat and not the one in question.
    The zoning could be incorrect

5. Chrissymx5

Chrissymx5 New Member

The stat that room is controlled by is the correct one, the stat company talked me through the settings to test it. I also tested it myself by a process of elimination turning stats off and on. All stats in each room are the correct ones for the appropriate zones.

6. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

When the stat is in holiday mode the radiator shouldn’t heat.
    If you remove the stat from the wall does the radiator still heat up?
    Does the radiator in question maybe heat up when other radiator/s are turned on?

7. Chrissymx5

Chrissymx5 New Member

This is water underfloor heating. No matter what I do the room still heats up. But I do know the zones for each room are controlled by the stat in each room. The correct stats are in the correct rooms therefore each zone is controlled by the correct stat.

8. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

If the thermostat is on holiday mode then maybe the zone valve for that manifold is calling for heat.

9. Dot99

Dot99 Active Member

My battery operated tado did similar(maybe). Temp readings were too high compared to the house being cold. Opened the tado to find few little bugs inside on the contacts. Problem solved.

10. Chrissymx5

Chrissymx5 New Member

I believe my plumber has changed anything for that particular zone that can be changed that’s in the cupboard with the manifold.

11. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

For the underfloor to keep heating, the boiler must be getting a signal from the underfloor wiring.
    Some pictures of the set up will help

12. Chrissymx5

Chrissymx5 New Member

Is that the wiring at the manifold or the boiler?

13. Chrissymx5

Chrissymx5 New Member

Surely the manifold is getting the signal from the sensor underfloor, then the manifold tells the boiler to fire up.

14. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Manifold

15. Chrissymx5

Chrissymx5 New Member

Could the sensor be the problem?

16. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Wouldn’t think so.
    Sensor simply senses the temperature and relays this to the thermostat.
    The thermostat then decides if the boiler fires via a zone valve.

17. Chrissymx5

Chrissymx5 New Member

But surely if the sensor was dodgy and not sending the right signal to the stat it could affect it, telling the boiler to fire up when it shouldn’t

18. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

That’s correct.
    The stat could be disconnected from the system then check if it still fires.
    Or the sensor could be disconnected.
    It’s should be easy enough to work out where the live signal is coming from with a multimeter.

19. Chrissymx5

Chrissymx5 New Member

My plumber is calling tomorrow and will hopefully find out what the problem is. However has tried several times to fix it so he can’t be left with many options.

20. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

If he’s changed bits then it’s probably not the bits that are faulty.
    The wiring needs checked.
    There’s a few different underfloor setups but on site it can’t be difficult to trace.