Fitting an Ikea Kitchen

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by stonemason, Feb 22, 2020.

1. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

No, i don't know it all at all. Even after 30+ years of fitting kitchens, i embrace, work with and invest in new tech. What i can't stand though is stupidity from manufacturers that have no understanding of the market they sell in. Ikea is the epitomy of that stupidity. Yep, plenty buy from them and always will until they go bump. Just like plenty bought from MFI until they went bump.

Mblack likes this.
  2. JustinB

JustinB New Member

It's a good attitude to have. Change is not always bad. I really think IKEA do a good job with inovation and investing in research.

All companies go bump in the end. And usually isn't a reflection on the quality of their producs. The MFI stuff was junky though. Loads of good small independents going bump at the moment.

3. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Then perhaps they should do a bit more research into the market they are selling into. It's ok selling selling diy, but selling diy into a market that can't actually fit it is nearly criminal.

[QUOTE="justinB]All companies go bump in the end. And usually isn't a reflection on the quality of their producs. The MFI stuff was junky though. Loads of good small independents going bump at the moment.[/QUOTE]

As it happens, MFI towards the end were not too bad................................they were just rubbish for the all the time before...................much like Ikea are now. As a small independent, i can confirm i'm not about to go bump at the moment or in the near future.

4. JustinB

JustinB New Member

As it happens, MFI towards the end were not too bad................................they were just rubbish for the all the time before...................much like Ikea are now. As a small independent, i can confirm i'm not about to go bump at the moment or in the near future.[/QUOTE]

I bit off topic. But I'm glad you're not going bump. Me neither. Woohoo for the independants.

Back on topic. With IKEA you get good value . At MFI you didn't. Also zero inovation and research. Unlike IKEA.

I'm not sure what your comparing IKEA stuff to though. So we might actually agree. I'm judging it in its intended market. Not high end bespoke furniture making, for example.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  5. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

I bit off topic. But I'm glad you're not going bump. Me neither. Woohoo for the independants.

Back on topic. With IKEA you get good value . At MFI you didn't. Also zero inovation and research. Unlike IKEA.

I'm not sure what your comparing IKEA stuff to though. So we might actually agree. I'm judging it in its intended market. Not high end bespoke furniture making, for example.[/QUOTE]

For the moment i will ignore there cabs. let's just think about there sinks. 2inch wastes.........................what the hell is that about ? Let me think here for a min.................................oh yes a multinational company just sells sinks with 2inch wastes................the rest of the EU uses 40mm.

6. JustinB

JustinB New Member

I'm not sure where you are getting the imperial thing from. I've got one of their sinks and waste pipes sat in front of me right now and it's most definitly 40mm. Not only tthat, it's also very well designed.

7. JustinB

JustinB New Member

To clarify, they are definitely metric 40mm. The pipes also have a telescopic horizontal section and a telescopic vertical section. So extremely easy and neat fitting. IKEA research and develop their products well.

8. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

9. The Happy Builder

MFI actually bought in doors and facias for the more expensive kitchens from Italy made by a company that supplied many of their rivals as well including Moben, people used to tell me that they had bought a better kitchen from another company, when the doors and facias were from the same supplier.

In addition to the companies listed on the Nobia website in the UK you can add Benchmarx, Homebase and Wickes to Magnet and Gower. People go to different showrooms and think they are getting a selection of quotes for a different selection of kitchens, but they all come from the same supplier.

Yes Ikea are doing their own thing, but it doesn’t inspire me.

https://www.nobia.com/our-kitchens/

10. Nanook

Nanook Active Member

Why are people’s tempers so frayed on here at the moment? Is it lockdown doing this? What’s happening?

I took a break from social media for a bit other than posting one question earlier in the week on here and I’ve come back to see people losing their **** over stuff that a month or so ago wouldn’t have ruffled feathers. I’ve had my first lot of mouthfuls tonight, fair enough.

It’s normally a really cool place where people discuss and sometimes dispute but don’t normally go at each other unless someone is deliberately provoking an argument like the old Ariston advert which went on and on and on and on...

Maybe it’s just me. I liked it here because it wasn’t full of vile like so many other forums are.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  11. JustinB

JustinB New Member

I think the first reply on this thread set it off with a very provocitive tone. Someone posts asking for help and the reply is to send their kitchen back and buy a decent one. Very negative and unhelpful and shows a lack of understanding of the fitting systems. So it warrants correcting. The fact is that they are extremely easy to fit. At the very worst you will need a single 30mm batton run along the top for the steel hanging rail.

12. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

"Warrants correcting?" Who do you think you are to "correct"anybody? It was Longboats opinion and half joking remark. You omit the part where his reply also said to run all the services at floor level, second reply said to batten the wall out and buy deeper work tops, following on from there several posters discussed the merits and negatives of the brand, myself being mainly negative but ultimately realistic. You want to sing the praises of whatever you're affiliated with then good for you, but don't take a pompous belittling attitude with people on here who give their time and experience for nothing to advise others.

13. JustinB

JustinB New Member

14. JustinB

JustinB New Member

I've kept on topic. No insults. And given my experience for free, like most of us. Whereas you are happy to call people pompus. I'm not affiliated with anyone and also not pompus. If I see that someone is wrong I might have an opinion about it. It looks like a lot of people that say IKEA units are bad because they don't understand the fitting methods. Not always. But often. Misinformation can cause a lot stress. This is my opinion. I mentioned about leaving the back feet off. This was meant as friendly advice. It's imediatly met with sarcastic belittling comment by someone that thinks I'm talking rubbish, but in fact it is them that doesn't know that this is the IKEA method. So people committed to trashing someone on a topic they don't know about. It's not helpful. And, yes, it's annoying.

15. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

What fitting methods do you think people are unable to understand? It's not anything that would be beyond a fitters ability screwing on a hanging rail is it? Just to be fair I read the manual you put up, do you fit your wall cabinets first before anything else then? When was the last square corner or flat plumb wall you came across? You said that there's a lot of dinosaurs out there because their opinion of ikea is low and even your last post states the same people are trashing you because they know nothing about fitting a kitchen which is nonsense, just to be clear, I'm disagreeing with you, not "trashing" or whatever else.

Graham Taylor's post had it spot on, ikea is designed for square, plumb, linear, Swedish houses where everything is designed to the millimetre, they are bought by people here as they see the lower pound signs, and are good if several design considerations are taken into account before the work starts, everything else not so much.

16. JustinB

JustinB New Member

I'm not saying you have to agree with their methods but you do have to know them to be able to have a valid opinion about them. I see what you are saying. I pretty much agree with you. By dinasaur, I mean people that shut down anything new or different without any practical reasoning.
    I think having an extremely rigid and straight rail to put against a bent wall makes the fitting on most walls and rooms very easy. You can easily see if a packer might be needed behind the rail on a concave section of wall , for example No scribing in of cabinets needed. Only scribing in of end panels due to the space they put between the wall and the back of the cabinets. If a straight rail isn't feesable the rails do also flex a little to the contours of the wall. If this also isn't feesable they have a few alterative fixing methods to handle different situations. Hence the different holes on the brackets. Shift them back a hole and use a more traditional method. Just opinion. Hope it helps.

17. The Happy Builder

Back in the 80’s and 90’s I was fitting kitchens in new build houses that had the worktops delivered with factory cut mason mitres, trying to fit them was a nightmare in the majority of the houses.

It often required the dry lining to be cut out behind the work tops to get them in square, when 900 x 900 corner base units became fashionable it often meant all the dry lining had to be removed behind one or both rear panels of the unit to get them back square, because they are big and square without service voids.

Not having having a service void behind the cabinets creates problems that go well beyond not having anywhere to hide the services, simply putting a packing piece behind the Ikea wall hanging strip is not feasible, because the work tops won’t be wide enough to cover it.

Ikea kitchens never did and still don’t appeal to me, I declined the requests to install them for people for many years.

18. The Happy Builder

So what do you do down the rear edges of tall larder cabinets and the like?

19. JustinB

JustinB New Member

Usually the method is the same as the shorter units. There is a space between cabinets and wall and the side panels are scribed if needed.

20. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

It wouldn't get to that stage as I would have run a mile by then, but I suppose it would depend on the amount of width you have on the end panels to scribe them to the wall and cover the gap.