Protect painted stair bannisters

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by mayrp2001, Nov 24, 2020.

1. mayrp2001

mayrp2001 New Member

Hi,

I have recently painted my stair railings and bannisters. I was wondering if there is something I could put over the paint to protect it from marks etc. We got a new carpet fitted and already seen some of the new paint scrapped off just from the carpet being fitted into place. I have a tub of furniture polish from a previous job. Would this do the trick?

Cheers

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Answer is no, paint chips easy if preparation is wrong generally. What paint did you use and what type of paint was it panted over.

3. mayrp2001

mayrp2001 New Member

Hi.
    I used satin wood paint. It was originally stained monogany. I roughly sanded all the surfaces before painting.

Cheers.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Oh dear!.....should have been painted with a high adhesion primer first to improve the paints adhesion, Zinsser BIN would have been the best to use, you have made a mistake I'm sorry to say. :(

5. mayrp2001

mayrp2001 New Member

Ah dear.

Thanks for the reply though. I have two French doors that are the same mohogany stain as the stairs that the wife wants painted. So you would suggest zinsser bin for these. Should I sand down to bare wood or just key them?

Thanks

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Wash the timber and a light flick over with 150 grit sandpaper to remove any nibs etc then apply one coat of BIN, once fully dry another quick flick over with the 150 then apply an appropriate undercoat followed by 2 top coats of the satin.

7. mayrp2001

mayrp2001 New Member

Top man thanks very much for that.

While I have you here and you seem to certainly know your stuff.

I've been tasked by the wife to paint a gloss door in the house. It's currently painted with a white gloss. She wants it to be a different colour with a satin finish. Would this be the same process as the doors mentioned above? Sorry for the constant questions.

Thanks again.

Astramax likes this.
  8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Will you be using a water base acrylic or oil paint? What is the paint finish on the door at the moment.

9. mayrp2001

mayrp2001 New Member

Hi. It'll be water based that I'm putting on it. I'll be honest I'm not sure what the paint is on the door. It looks gloss to me. Its the same paint as when we moved in.

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

After rubbing down and cleaning apply one coat of Zinsser Bullseye 123 as this primer/sealer will allow the water base undercoat paint to adhere to the surface, after the recommended drying time apply 2 top coats of the satin finish, 123 is not the same as BIN , BIN will stop stain bleed and stick to varnish although it can be used I prefer the 123 in such an application for ease of use and brush cleaning in soapy water as opposed to meths for BIN.

11. mayrp2001

mayrp2001 New Member

That's great. Thanks very much for all your help.