32mm grommets for BG consumer unit?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by rogerk101, Dec 1, 2020.

1. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Can anyone here suggest why neither Screwfix nor Toolstation stock 32mm rubber grommets for the punchouts in the top of a consumer unit. I have numerous 20mm ones that I have used for all the other cables, but I couldn't get a 10mm2 T&E to work with a 20mm one. I punched out a 32mm hole in the CU only to discover that our hosts and their main competitor don't stock any 32mm grommets. I had to order them through eBay.

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Always used stripe down piece of 2.5 mm sheath,cut down side edge. Slotted so that it bends.ps dont
    do consumer units anymore

3. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

OK, so you don't use grommets, but you do line the hole with the outer layer of T&E.
    The BG CU that I bought came with a length of liner, which I could fit, but it wouldn't close off the hole completely once the 10mm2 T&E was running through the hole. I thought that the hole had to be sealed off.

4. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Intumescent filler! Plan b open up the 20mm hole slightly

rogerk101 likes this.
  5. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

6. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

7. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

I though of these but I am wary of the 'type test' pedants that lurk in here :)

8. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

.ps dont
    do consumer units anymore

Same here Nigel, (and life is much simpler)!

9. Philip Hyde

Philip Hyde Screwfix Select