Tiling quote - rip off?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by bigbarryfatbaps, Dec 2, 2020.

1. bigbarryfatbaps

bigbarryfatbaps New Member

Hi,

Had a quote to tile 48m2 (excluding tiles)

Remove existing floor areas (mostly carpet, some tiles in kitchen, laminate in dining room) and Levelling floors £1100
    Laying tiles £1360
    Adhesive and Grout £480
    Levelling compound £460

Total £3400.

On top of that prowarm electric underfloor heating :
    Thermo boards throughout
    Levelling compound to cover mats
    £1930

Seems pretty expensive to me, what do you think?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  2. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

have you had any other quotes? What are you comparing to?

(..you could save a chunk by removing old flooring yourself if so inclined, not really a huge task to remove carpet & laminate)

Nanook likes this.
  3. Mancone

Mancone Member

As always, not excessive if you can’t get anyone to do it for cheaper. Annoyingly.

4. bigbarryfatbaps

No other quotes yet.... finding it really hard to find anyone else!

Just wondered if that was in the ballpark of being reasonable or not!

5. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

the material costs seem a little high..

Eg Mapei 20kg adhesive, coverage approx 5m2, £14/bag. so your area 48m2 = approx 10 bags, = £140
    Grout will be even less
    Mapei Self levelling 25kg bag approx 6m2 £19/bag, 8 bags = £152

these are just average of course...could always buy the material yourself providing you know what/how much is needed.

*just a thought.. not sure if your prices were material only, or including labour!!!

Mancone likes this.
  6. bigbarryfatbaps

As i understand it those prices were for the material only.. the labour was separate

7. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

As you understand? Did you not ask?

8. Nanook

Nanook Active Member

It’s difficult to know how your quote was supplied. But looking at your original post, it does look like labour is included in the figures you’ve stated along with materials:

‘Remove existing floor areas (mostly carpet, some tiles in kitchen, laminate in dining room) and Levelling floors £1100’

This job price includes their labour by the look of it. Best to talk directly with them though.

At a guess, the tile price has not been included because you’ve not chosen the tiles yet but that is just a guess.

Also, just because the area is 48m2 doesn’t take into account how tricky the job is or isn’t.

Always worth getting a few quotes. Better to pick person on how confident and comfortable you feel around them too. Look for reliability, courtesy, friendliness. Ask to see their previous work. These sort of things.

If the guy is top of his game he’s likely to charge more than someone who isn’t BUT it doesn’t always work like that.

9. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

There's labour and materials included here. First line includes the labour for leveling the floors, and last line is the materials cost £460 - that's 23 x 20Kg bags at £20 a pop, about right for 48m2 with 5mm depth.

10. PlumbyGas

PlumbyGas Member

If you went all in on that price as a whole job you are looking at £71 a sqm to remove everything, level, lay and finish.
    I have two tilers that book 60/ms and 80/ms and that’s not removing anything or preping.

Also as you said you canny get anyone to even price let alone commit and complete. Happening more and more, great for the trade annoying for the customers.

Does depend on your area however I’m in Essex.

11. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

It's certainly not a rip off, I don't think that's excessive, that's a big floor area to level and tile. Floors cost more than walls, generally.

12. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Yes, as someone who actually does this kind of work and knows what's involved I'd say it is definitely a reasonable quote.
    But, it all comes down to money. If this is over budget for you then you either need to take your chances with someone willing to do it for less, or find the extra cash to pay this guy what he wants.
    If he's recommended and you trust him to do a good job then go for it.

13. bigbarryfatbaps

Thanks everyone for your advice, I'm feeling a bit more comfortable now that i'm not being taken for a ride. Didn't realise fitting price could be so high, everywhere i've looked for advice it's in region of £30-50 a m2 but i suppose that assumes a perfectly flat floor. On top of that then i'm looking at tiles at about £20 a m2, so it's not a cheap task it would seem!

longboat and Mancone like this.
  14. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Like anything you get what you pay for, preparatory work can be on a level with or cost more than the tiling, £20 a metre for tiles is on the cheap side of things.

15. bigbarryfatbaps

OK Next question, how much markup on materials is acceptable in this industry? I asked for the components of the underfloor heating and where they are coming from, when i priced them up they came to £1100 retail rather than £1930

16. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Its a bit of an irrelevant question, you've been given a price. If you try and knock them down on materials price, they'll simply add it onto the labour. The price is more than cost of materials, the fitters should be warranting the materials so if they go wrong, they'll put it right and that can be costly.

Mancone likes this.
  17. Nanook

Nanook Active Member

Doesn’t the £1930 include the labour too? That’s how I read it.

How many men to lay the under floor heating? Is it just him or is he having an assistant too? If so, that guy needs paying as well. This is normal.

If you don’t trust him, perhaps cut your losses or it’s likely to go wrong for both of you. What you’re looking for is to find a tradesman you can have a good relationship with so that he becomes your regular and vice versa.

18. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Yes I'd say it does, also includes the levelling compound to cover the mats (materials and labour for that).

19. mark atkin

mark atkin Member

This should be about £2,500 max

Nanook likes this.
  20. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

There is no maximum or minimum, only what the customer is willing and happy to pay.
    Some firms trade with next to no overheads whilst others may have a large office, several administrative staff, 20 Van's on the road, 30+ fitters/installers and an advertising budget amounting to several thousand pounds a month.
    All of that needs paying for.... by the customer.

WillyEckerslike and Jord86 like this.