Re Slate - Issues

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by jackjcj, Dec 7, 2020.

1. jackjcj

jackjcj New Member

Hi - this is my first post here and I was hoping someone could advise.

I have recently moved into a 3 bed semi detached dating from the 1930's, the house is slated in good quality Welsh slates but had no 'breathable' membrane.

We have just had the slates removed, a membrane fitted (Phttps://www.permavent.co.uk/products/permavent-max-all-zones/), new battens and slates reattached.

Looking at the work that has been done it appears that the slates no longer sit as flush to each other as they used to and the bonding pattern is no longer straight - should this be expected given the age of the roof? I asked the roofer to explain why this was the case and he advised its because he has had to fall in line with next door. Next door have a perfectly aligned bond pattern.

Furthermore, I have checked inside the loft and condensation now appears to be forming on the underside of the felt (see pictures) - I assume this is down to lack of ventilation in the loft space.

Comments on the quality of work and ventilation requirements would be gratefully appreciated, I have building regs coming tomorrow to take a look also.

Best regards
    Jack

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  2. Frutbunn

Frutbunn Active Member

Why are b regs involved?

3. jackjcj

jackjcj New Member

I spoke to my council they advised buildings regs required for re roof, I was surprised too

4. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Post it over at diynot https://www.diynot.com/diy/forums/roofing-guttering/ in their dedicated roofing forum as well - some pro roofers there as well who will comment. I'm DIY, but have recently been learning (and just slated) about 40sqm of roof. To me that looks rough - doesn't look like the slates have been graded, so thickuns and thinuns mixed alongside, plenty of kicked up slates, plus a few that I would have rejected as already damaged. And no excuse for the bad bond, even I managed a perfect bond on a first attempt - it looks to me like the slates have been butted hard up against each other rather than having a few mm wriggle room to keep the bond in line. It looks rough to me, but you really need a roofer to comment. Trouble is, getting redress for subjective bad "quality" is tough.

5. jackjcj

jackjcj New Member

Many thanks for your reply. My thoughts indeed, it does look very rough to me. I think your comments on the grading are spot on lots of different thicknesses. The bond should be easily replicated, not sure why this has been possible. I will post on diynot. - thanks very much.

6. stuart44

stuart44 Screwfix Select

How much head lap have you got?

7. Frutbunn

Frutbunn Active Member

It's only required if there is an increase or decrease in loading of 15% , if you are putting the same slate or similar slate back on its not required, unless they are asking for an app under Part L (Thermal Insulation) in which case they can't really get involved with anything else.