Ceiling too low?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Muse1982, Dec 9, 2020.

1. Muse1982

Muse1982 New Member

Morning

I feel such a tool. A few weeks ago i am embarked on sorting out the living room floor. I layed plywood on the floorboards then self levelling. I got so obsessed with the level that i didn't take into account how high the ceiling will be after i had finished . I installed some 10 mm laminate on top and trim. The door was yet to be installed, it then dawned on me that ceiling was considerably lower, I have a measure it and it comes out at 237.5, I feel like ripping it out and starting again, but i think the wife will kill me. Do you think this is too low.?

2. spannerw

spannerw Screwfix Select

Depends if you keep hitting your head.:D

Muse1982 likes this.
  3. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I've worked in 'modern' houses where the ceiling was lower than that.

Anyway, if your wife can judge length that accurately (without any mechanical aids), you've possibly got other problems.

4. Muse1982

Muse1982 New Member

the wife is ok about it, the ceiling that is. its me

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  5. ejenner

ejenner Active Member

That doesn't sound like it's as bad as some. Personally I prefer high ceilings but I know someone who thinks the opposite. Low ceilings are better for warmth apparently.

6. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

Ceilings in my house (built circa 1955) are 7'6", whatever that is in metric

7. Frutbunn

Frutbunn Active Member

Should have been 7' 6 1/2", that was the minimum height required under building byelaws at the time, metric equivalent was 2300mm. Regulation was abolished in 1985.

8. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Doesn't sounds that low, my ceilings are under 8' downstairs (1958 house), and I can just touch the ceilings if I stretch when upstairs and I'm 5' 8".

9. Muse1982

Muse1982 New Member

Thank you all

10. gadget man

Maybe it is 7' 6 1/2", But I'm not that pedantic, and what's half an inch twixt friends?...:)

Jord86 likes this.
  11. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

About 30mm for the ply and floor, a few mm for the self levelling so not really a big loss in height.

12. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

13. gadget man

Decided to measure mine again tonight, and it's 7' 7" plus thickness of laminate flooring and underlay...:)

14. Frutbunn

Frutbunn Active Member

They got it right at the time then!
    I found some old copies of the building byelaws (as well as some 19th century public health acts) in a cupboard years ago and had a browse through them, mind you they were little more than a pamphlet.

15. gadget man

That pamphlet will probably seem like a limerick compared to todays building bylaws which I'm guessing is like reading Tolstoys "War and Peace"..:)

16. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

If wife is happy, then everybody is happy :)

17. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Screwfix Select

I can't see why there has to be a regulation for ceiling height. If a builder makes them too low or too high he just won't sell his houses. Just let the market decide.

18. AnotherTopJob

It seems there isn't any regulation for minimum ceiling height except for 2m on stairs/landings.

19. Frutbunn

Frutbunn Active Member

I think I may have already covered it, there was a regulation until nov 85 that habitable rooms required 2.3m, however, following a review of the regs and the introduction of the new format of B Regs, this was abolished.

gadget man likes this.
  20. AnotherTopJob

Yes sorry I missed that.
    It always amazes me how low doorways were a few hundred years ago, it shows how much shorter we used to be!