Igniter/pilot/thermal coupler assembly

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Radders, Dec 19, 2020.

1. Radders

Radders Member

My gas fire igniter sopped working, appears part of the igniter metal "wick" has snapped off. I've done a job on it short term but I also think the thermal coupler is on it's way out.

A new correct assembly form the orginal fireplace supplier is £60, I have found an almost identical one for £18 although the layout is igniter/therm coup/pilot, whereas I want igniter/pilot/therm Coup. The manifold seem simple enough to switch things around both thread and bracket fixings appear same.

Question - are each of these componants same/similar or do they have specific ranges for specific fires?

2. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

If this is gas the work should be carried out by somebody gassafe registered, not diy.

3. Radders

Radders Member

I'll stand corrected and don't wish an argument but installation of a new appliance needs certifying, general repairs whether gas or not ( exc landlords) suggests a 'competant' person. I understand this applies to electrical work too.

4. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

The issue that arises is how to define a "competent person". The accepted legal definition, as I understand it, is the person needs to be on the gas safe register. If you are not on that register you can argue that you are competent but you won't get very far with that argument if it came to court.

Now, you may well be able to fix your gas fire, it's not exactly rocket science, but if it ever causes problems in the future it will nullify your home insurance and if it causes harm to another person, criminal charges.

This debate on what constitutes a competent person is an old favourite!

5. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

With the pilot assemble on gas fires open to the room, their is a provision for carbon monoxide detection. This is achieved by setting the thermocouple at the correct height above the pilot burner. If C0 levels increase to a hazardous level, the pilot flame lifts off the burner and burns at a height above the thermocouple. The thermocouple is no longer heated and the main burner hoes out, making the fire safe. It is of paramount importance that the position of the thermocouple is set in accordance with the manufacturers instructions. The forgoing is not intended as instruction on how to repair a gas appliance, consult an approved or qualified person for that information.

MGW likes this.
  6. Radders

Radders Member

not sure regarding must be on gas safe register but shall bow to your superior knowledge, I do agree however regards the wooly area of competancy. However my many years in engineering allows me a little bit of skill.

Many thanks for your reply

7. Radders

Radders Member

Yes I understand and agree Bob, if the cheaper assembly could'nt be re-configured and installed exactly as the old unit then I wouldn't proceed, I would simply dig deep and buy the correct model but am convinced as Eric Morcambe once said "it's the right tune, the notes not necessarily in the right order" My question was are the componants different from fire to fire, having now visited a H&V supplier I'm told I can buy replacement generic igniters and generic thermal couplers but the whole assembly has to be ordered from the specific fire supplier.
    This suggests to me that it's the bracket and fixings that are important which I think is where you are coming from, yes no?

8. Bazza-spark

9. Radders

Radders Member

Not looking for a war Bazza, the criteria for your links is "employed" and quite rightly, why should I trust and pay for the services of rogues and charletans claiming to be competant when they may not be, I'm not convinced a competant person cannot work on these appliances and 1000's of other appliances if deemed competant. I employed many self employed trades and remember many of my H&v guys frustration of completing the online paperwork and parting with a large cheque to transfer from Corgi to the gas safe register that they deemed a criminal money making excercise (with same good intentions as Corgi)

Anyhoo, not the answers I was looking for but sufficiently nervous to buy thecorrect part but fit myself because I deem myself competant!

10. Bazza-spark

Not looking for an argument either, but you cant even copy the word competent.

On your head be it, you asked, I advised.

Radders likes this.
  11. Radders

Radders Member

Oh dear!
    I asked for Expert advice on components not opinions on the Gas safe cartel, and leave my spell checker alone, he's done you no harm.

Thank you to Bob, helpful description of thermal coupling operation has removed my penny pinching solution

12. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Without the full knowledge of a trained gas type you must follow religiously the manufacturers instructions. To make any modifications to anything, let alone a gas appliance, you must fully understand the operation and working of the device. For this, training alone may be insufficient. Radders, if it helps, I would fix my own gas fire, following the instructions using non original parts, but that is my choice and risk.

13. Radders

Radders Member

Agree Bob, as mentioned correct assy ordered so pretty much impossible not to get back in correct location, and have sufficient competency to check for leaks and witness correct burn/operation

Cheers