Laminate square stage in center of room

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by GarageGem, Dec 22, 2020.

Tags:
  1. GarageGem

GarageGem New Member

Hi everyone,

Hoping someone can help me.

I'm trying to create a square of laminated area in the middle of the room. It's for dance purposes so it needs to be able to come up and go down again easily enough, depending on if I need laminate or the foam mats for the session.

It'll be totally standalone, not reaching any of the room walls.

Someone had suggested I use the foam mats as a sort of underlay, with non-stick mats on top, and then the laminate on top of that (as pictured for reference). Can I glue the laminate slats together so they don't pop up at the sides when I walk on them? And is there a way I could fix edging trim around the outside so it doesn't move sideways?

Any other creative (and fairly inexpensive) suggestions welcome.

Thanks!
    Gem

Attached Files:

2. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler Active Member

It's a rather obvious "size V weight V maneuverability" issue.
    You probably need to consider smaller units which can lock together. This could be achieved by fixing wedge shape blocks to the sides of the pieces (rather like the blocks used to hang kitchen cabinets) that allow the units to lock together. But that may not prevent the units moving up and down individually, and will add depth (and therefore weight) to the units.

GarageGem likes this.
  3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Laminate isn’t designed to be repeatedly taken up and laid back down again - which I think, is what your planning on ? Although no idea on the frequency

Sure, laminate varies in quality dependant on brand and price but essentially, how it locks together is fairly fragile and more than likely formed from MDF

Frequent taking up and laying down each piece will end up damaging the ‘click’ method of joining boards together and render it useless

I understand your idea of gluing together each slat and fixing some sort of edging around the perimeter but then how do you remove the laminate flooring ?

Are you talking about a fairly small section of laminate that your planning on keeping whole and simply lifting up and laying back down as one section ?

If so, what’s the overall size your planning on ?

GarageGem likes this.
  4. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

You could build a plywood base with 2x1’s around the edges, then lay your laminate within this. It would be a nightmare to move and store though if it was any way big.

GarageGem likes this.
  5. GarageGem

GarageGem New Member

I didn't actually realise that about the click wearing out, so that's good to know thanks! Aye I was hoping to have the whole area in one or two parts so I can lift it up and lean it against a wall and then replace when needed. The area in total would be approx 2mx2m or just less, which I put at around 10-12 laminate slats.

6. GarageGem

GarageGem New Member

I hadn't considered that, would that be as loose laminate or would it be likely to stay in place? The hope was to be able to lie it against a wall when not in use.

7. GarageGem

GarageGem New Member

Thanks for the reply! Would you suggest something other than laminate?

8. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

You could click it all together then fix a beading to the outside timber on top of the edges of the laminate, if that makes sense to you? Or click it all together and glue it down.