Power in loft for CCTV NVR etc

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Seelda, Dec 25, 2020.

1. Seelda

Seelda New Member

Hi all, after a bit of advice.

1950s semi with steel conduit was rewired 25 years ago. Conduit retained in walls, ends de-burred and used to run T&E. CU relocated and changed to 18th edition, by professional sparky 3 years ago.

I'm thinking of installing soffit mounted downlights and a POE CCTV system. At the moment I have a 1.5mm2 T&E on a 6A MCB (RCD split load) feeding the 1st floor lights and a couple of florescent tubes in the loft. I'm hoping that the NVR can use a powerline ethernet adaptor to link to my broadband router on the ground floor.

Options are:
    1. Install a 13A Socket on the 1st floor lighting circuit to power the NVR & POE cameras. I believe that BS7671 permits a 13A docket on 1.5mm2 but obviously there is the risk that a future resident might plug in a heavy load and trip the MCB and be left in darkness. I'm not sure if the powerline signal will like connecting between s lighting and a ring final circuit.

2. Install a new 2.5mm2 radial from a new MCB in the CU to supply the 13A socket in the loft. I think the conduit (3/4"?) Can take both 2.5mm2 and 1.5mm2 T&E but that's getting s bit crowded.

3. As 2 but using 4mm2 T&E to feed a 2.5mm2 T&E ring final in thr loft.

4. As 2 or 3 but use singles instead of the T&E radial to reduce space in conduit then convert back to 2.5mm2 T&E in the loft.

Any recommendations or further options appreciated.

2. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

FCU connected to the lighting circuit with a 5A fuse fitted. Then wire your socket(s) to that.

Is your steel conduit continuous and earthed?

3. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Someone will be along shortly to tell you that's dangerous, as you could plug a Hoover in the loft and put the house in darkness

Teki likes this.
  4. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Yup, just waiting for that...;)

Though I don't think that argument sticks anymore. Many modern vacuum cleaners are cordless and the likes of Dyson and Henry corded ones only draw around 600W so you'd probably still be fine!

5. sams

sams Member

very dangerous , someone could use the socket to plug a hoover in :)

6. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Or a hot tub.

Teki likes this.
  7. sams

sams Member

just run a supply from neighbors loft and then it will blow there fuse instead

8. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

What he said

9. Bogle Crag

Bogle Crag Screwfix Select

Or a welding set

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  10. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

I recommend at least a 32A supply up there, just in case a future owner likes to grow weed!

11. BiancoTheGiraffe

Reminds me of a few years ago when I was advising a bloke on here who'd asked about running a supply to his potting shed...

I'd given him specs for a 16A supply, but someone butted in and was absolutely insistent that it should be 32A minimum in case they later fancied welding!

12. sams

sams Member

if it was a "potting" shed then it would be "weeding" going on not welding

13. BiancoTheGiraffe

Nice one! I might have to go back through all the old discussions so I can give that answer!

14. Seelda

Seelda New Member

Thanks for the advice about the weed & welding. How did you know my two hobbies?

15. Seelda

Seelda New Member

I forgot to answer Teki regarding the steel conduit bring earthed. New conduit from new CU to under the bedroom floor is earthed but the old conduit, from under bedroom floor to the loft isn't.

16. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Would it be ok to run the CCTV/NVR from 5amp round pin plugs/sockets? That way no one could inadvertently plug in the aforementioned welder or hoover. Belt and braces if the sockets were connected to an FCU.
    Personally in all my years I've never hoovered my loft. Does this make me a bad person?

17. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Sure. That’s the failsafe solution. The snag comes when many products come with a combo plug/power supply (aka wallwart). You need a “13A” square pin socket for those.

18. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Good point!

19. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

I'm sure you could get an adapter to convert round pin sockets to the normal square pins.

However, I would just fit a normal socket to the lighting circuit and clearly label it to avoid any blackouts.

Teki, BiancoTheGiraffe and Bazza like this.
  20. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select