Adding a socket to boiler cupboard

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by shapingstuff, Dec 27, 2020.

1. shapingstuff

shapingstuff New Member

Hi,

I need an additional socket in a cupboard that already houses our combi boiler.

The boiler is on a fused spur with a 3 amp fuse.

How would I go about adding an additional socket? Is it possible to run an additional spur from the 3 amp spur socket for the boiler? Or would I require a 13 amp spur prior to the double socket and the 3 amp spur socket for the boiler?

Cheers.

2. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Your options will depend on how the FCU for the boiler is connected.
    It could be
    • a point on a ring
    • an existing spur from a ring
    • a point on a radial circuit
    Each will have its own solution. Do you know how it is connected?

3. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

If it's a ring final circuit your second suggestion would be the way to go but if it's a radial circuit on say a 16a or 20a fuse/mcb you could just add it to what's there already.

4. Banallsheds

Banallsheds Well-Known Member

You would not need the FCU though. Plugs have fuses in them.

5. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

To comply with BS7671, an FCU would be required.

seneca likes this.
  6. shapingstuff

shapingstuff New Member

Thanks, everyone for your speedy replies.

I'm quite certain the FCU for the boiler is spurred from the ring. The MCB is 32 amp and there is only a single wire to the FCU for the boiler. Majority of the house on the same circuit.

So if I were to add a 13amp fused spur prior to the FCU for the boiler then I could run an additional double socket from the FCU for the boiler? I have 2.5mm cable handy.

In the unusual situation that this was a radial circuit (which I doubt) then would there be any harm in having a 13 amp fused spur anyway?

Cheers.

7. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Unswitched FCU (13A) supplying your double socket and switched FCU(3A) to your boiler.

Good luck with your project.

8. Banallsheds

Banallsheds Well-Known Member

It would be a complete waste of money. There would be additional connections and possibly points of failure.