Has Plumber not buried pipes deep enough in Screed?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Joely, Dec 27, 2020.

1. Joely

Joely New Member

Hope you've all had a good Christmas!

Just before lockdown I had a plumber out to lay new pipework for a radiator I'd hung on the opposite wall to the original position. I'm a DIYer but didn't want my own pipework being buried in screed with expensive floor over the top!

I insisted that the pipework were lagged (I even went out to get it to ensure it was) but I I have three concerns with the job:
    1) the elbows are very shallow where they've been connected from the old tails, I estimate they'll be about 30mm from the surface once the new screed is down.
    2) He ran out of push-fit and so one of the lengths is on copper and partially exposed, I've read that the screed can be corrosive so unsure whether it's best to wrap it (if so with what?) or replace it with push-fit?
    3) More of a question, what should I wrap around the copper pipe going up to the new radiator which I can then cut flush once the new screed is down?

Thanks a lot!

Attached Files:

2. techie

techie Screwfix Select

Hi
    I wouldn't have any pushfit under any of my floors, especially solid floor.No joints
    under the floor please, although opinion differs as to using plastic v copper tube.

jonathanc likes this.
  3. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

As above. Should have been copper all the way. I’m no averse to plastic btw but if that is used then the joints should be minimised to those areas where a leak can be accessed

techie likes this.
  4. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I disagree. It should have been 15mm plastic pipe all the way, with absolutely no couplings under the screed. It's perfectly doable because that's the way I have done all the wet underfloor heating systems I've ever done ... and that's quite a large number by now., and I touch wood as I say that in the 30 years since I did my first, I have never had or heard of a leak in any of them.

ElecCEng likes this.
  5. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

and how do you propose connecting to the old rad tails? Some connection above the screen looping down again?

6. rogerk101

On the few occasions where I have laid pipes to radiators under screed I have taken the plastic pipes directly into the radiators and connected them with compression olives, so there are no 'radiator tails' to worry about. I bend the pipes to the minimum radius specified by the pipe manufacturer and dig out enough masonry to accommodate that radius. They end up looking identical to radiators with well plumbed copper tails, and they can even be painted. I have never bothered with painting but I have used the decorative clip on pipe collars to hide the writing on the pipes.

7. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

I think he meant connecting the new pipes to old.
    As this is under the screed there will need to be a fitting.

Looking at the pictures the existing pipes look like they come from straight under the floor.
    Is there possibly access under this floor. Could it be a suspended reinforced concrete floor?

8. rogerk101

I have a simple rule in plumbing ... never put a coupling under or behind something that can't be removed with relative ease. Plastic plumbing pipe is so cheap and comes in such long lengths that there should never be a need to use couplings in inaccessible places.

jonathanc likes this.
  9. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

yep. Either way there are plenty of ways of doing the job that avoids the plethora of push fits under screed.

10. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

Could shutter out a rebated box around the joint leaving the joint accessible, screed, and then put a piece of wood over the top, then floor. It’s only a small area so wouldn’t have a major impact on the overall floor.

+1 for all joints must be accessible.

In terms of jointing into existing pipework, it needs to be taken back to a point where the joint can remain accessible then run long lengths under the screed.

11. Joely

Joely New Member

Attached is where the pipes enter the screed so I guess relatively easy to connect the push-fit here.

Would you guys recommend something like this https://www.johnguest.com/speedfit/product/pipe-accessories/conduit-elbow-2/ to get as tight a bend as possible?

Not looking forward to digging up lots more screed especially since I paid someone to do it already and ended up in this mess!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
  12. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

I would never put a pushfit under screed as the screed can push against the release and loosen the fitting. Rogerk"s advice is spot on but if you absolutly have to have a fitting make it compression as these wont move.
    It would have been best done in copper and soldered, covered in Denso tape then lagged

Abrickie likes this.