Ideas of how to fit a door here?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Suzan Aydin, Dec 29, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Suzan Aydin

Suzan Aydin Member

I’m about to start working on putting a door here but I’m thinking of how I should do it.

Here’s a video - the opening is a bit awkward, I’ve thought that I’m going to have to trim the shelves where the door will swing out a bit... but need some ideas on what might be the best way to do this.

https://streamable.com/qxw6ui

2. Dan Parkinson

Dan Parkinson Active Member

Can't have that door opening onto the landing, the roof is in the way.

Remove the shelves, put the door on the angle going into the room.

Or box the shelves in on one side and you might be able to fit a 762 door in there, again opening into the room.

Suzan Aydin likes this.
  3. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

wasnt astramax idea anygood

Astramax and Suzan Aydin like this.
  4. Suzan Aydin

Suzan Aydin Member

I hadn’t seen Astramax’s final response until now! My bad.

5. Suzan Aydin

Suzan Aydin Member

Thanks - Astramax had said the same thing.

how easy is it to create a frame that is angled? The door itself would need to be angled too no?

6. ginger tuffs

get your frame and door pack off with soft wood to suit angle that way you are keeping frame square

Astramax likes this.
  7. Dan Parkinson

Standard door, standard frame. Fit the frame on the angle.

Astramax likes this.
  8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The frame is fitted on the angle, the door fits the frame... as above post. ;)

9. DevilDamo

DevilDamo Active Member

Is there scope to install a sliding/pocket door from the Bedroom side and sliding the direction of the slope? The shelves could be boxed in from the Landing, therefore accessible from the Bedroom. Or box them in from the Bedroom and have them accessible from the Landing.

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yeah! he read my post last week and needed time to think about it! :D

Suzan Aydin and ginger tuffs like this.
  11. ginger tuffs

so true but no tweaks

12. Suzan Aydin

Suzan Aydin Member

Problem with this is there are 3 built in wardrobes that continue past the shelving. I’d make a sliding door sliding out to the landing but the trouble is the slope of the ceiling.

One part I think I’m confused about is when installing the frame. The frame is going to be sitting on external corners i.e the gap of the door. So the piece of wood for the door frame on the left side for instance is going to have the edge of the wall sitting on the midpoint of that wood. I know people say pack, but I’m not too sure how to do this when putting a stud on an external corner..

13. ginger tuffs

your best bet would be to get some cardboard cut out same width as frame and door with clearances then lay on floor so you con move around to get correct position

14. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Is that the only room at the top of the stairs? If so, why not put the door at the bottom?

Suzan Aydin likes this.
  15. Suzan Aydin

Suzan Aydin Member

That’s a good suggestion Craig, problem is the banister is wide open.. so you’d have to close off the banister as well.

16. Suzan Aydin

Suzan Aydin Member

Got a quote from a carpenter saying:

the door for upstairs materials £545.76
    Labour £300

does that sound right?..

17. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

£600 for materials to do an internal door seems rather steep. Does it need to be fire rated?

18. ginger tuffs

you are saying it is steep but dont no if he has quoted for fire rated

19. Suzan Aydin

Suzan Aydin Member

Are fire rated doors that expensive? Damn.... I might just suck it up and go with acoustic curtains :D:D

20. Dan Parkinson

Door, ironmongery, casing, arcs, material for boxing in shelves + any bits to make good. His materials may sound steep but his labour is less than I'd have quoted so swings and roundabouts

Suzan Aydin likes this.