Wobbly floorboards - no wonder!

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by fred812, Jan 6, 2021.

1. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Is 3x2 sufficient if I'm having to cut a 22mm (plus a few mm) notch for the pipes?

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

If you just noggin with 3x2 or whatever it you are not strengthening the cut joist that looks to be floating and only supported by the floorboards.

3. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

You mean joist going across the top of the picture with the brackets each end?

4. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

yeah that’s why I suggested a new joist, noggins and plywood. It would firm up the whole thing and you could fit your laminate or whatever on a good subfloor

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

The gaping hole between the two existing joists where there previously was another joist as referenced by the nail positions in the floorboards in your photo. I imagine the 'plumbers' who installed the pipes were responsible for cutting it out.

6. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Yes, the plumbers.

I see what you mean now. I think there is something under those nails. I'll have a look in the morning. I think a joist runs across (left to right )14" from the the one at the top of the picture. You think a joist has been removed running top to bottom, near the top of the brick wall that can be see? I'll have a look at the boards that I have lifted for evidence too.

7. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Exactly what I was suggesting earlier, a joist or trimmer has been cut out.

8. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Take a pic from the doorway in the opposite direction from the other pic so we can see what's under that side.

9. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

You need to at least lift the boards back to that floating joist.

10. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Ok, I'll do that. I'm not there all the time at the moment so it will be later.
    Thanks for all your help.

11. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Blimey I see what you mean now. I loosely replaced the boards I had taken up and sure enough there's nail holes where the old joist had been. As requested I've taken some pictures from the other direction. In one pic you can see the extension of the 'missing' joist further up the hall.

Attached Files:

12. FlyByNight

That third pic shows a trimmer inserted. You need to run maybe two 6x2 lengths from that trimmer to the one under the door frame, notched appropriately, and equi-spaced. You will not get a single on the centre line due to pipes.

Use plates similar to those already fitted to fix them with.

I would also be recording everything with pictures and then to raise a claim against the sellers and the surveyor. That should not have been missed, and the sellers have left teh house in a compromised state. At a minimum, a letter to them stating a claim.

13. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

Is there the top of a downstairs breezeblock wall visible in the pictures? If so, surely a new piece of joist sitting on that, fixed either end and just cut for the 22mm pipes, would solve the problem.

Sorry if I'm missing something, but it does look like it.

14. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

Well the new picture which shows the trimmer makes life a lot easier.

15. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Thanks for the advice. Yes that is the top of a downstairs internal wall. I'm working on it now. I take ages!

I'll update with some pics in due course. Haven't gone to get any wood yet, need to be careful round here and I don't want to go to the shops any more than necessary.

16. FlyByNight

Have you not got any 4x2?

If you put in two lengths it will be easier and give more support and you could use 4x2 properly fixed at each end. You may find Jiffy Hangers (search on SF for Jiffy) in a 44 or 47 width, fixed over the two trimmers will work.

17. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

No but I'm going to get some. Will this be ok?

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Sawn-Kiln-Dried-C16-Timber---45-x-95-x-2400-mm/p/178635

Plan at the moment is to put a 4x2 top to bottom each end and then one or two top to bottom spaced out across the gap. Then replace any floorboards that are ok and the rest with 18mm flooring grade chipboards.

For the bits each side going top to bottom, can I screw the new 4x2 to the existing rafters or should I fix them to the bits going across top and bottom? Sorry about my amatuerish naming but thought better than try and get clever and use the wrongs words.

Attached Files:

18. FlyByNight

You may not need one on the left, the boards already have support. On the right, yes, use some 80 lg, 4.5 or 5 dia screws and get them tight. A 4 or 4.5 hole in the one you are fixing then straight into the existing.

For the intermediate two (one alone would be cut away too much) get some Jiffy hangers - either SF 25392 (47mm) or 37246 (44mm) depending on the actual timber size and fit those to the existing. They are packs of 10 - Wickes may sell them singly but for four from therre a pack of 10 from SF maybe cheaper. There are hangers there already.

And get yourself a pack of shims https://www.screwfix.com/p/broadfix-assorted-plastic-shims-medium-200-pcs/80408 they will help with fine adjustment of the pieces you fit and if you use chipboard/ply infil, ideal for levelling that too. And always useful for other jobs.

19. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Ok, thanks. Unless theres a problem I intend using the 45mm wood in the link above. Should I get the 44mm or 47mm SF hangers. Do I bend them over the top of the joist like the ones that the plumbers used? I'll get those shims too! I used to have some but having just moved I haven't got a clue where they are.

Thanks again for your help.

20. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Ok, well I'll go with the 47mm size unless advised otherwise.

Interesting that further up the hall there are two joists, as picture.

Attached Files: