Smart Meters and RAF Fylingdales

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Whitling2k, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Whitling2k

Whitling2k Member

Does anyone know anything about restrictions to installing smart meters in parts of North Yorkshire because of interference between the SMETS2 RF frequency and the radar station up on Fylingdales?

Apparently I can't get a smets2 smart meter because of it - but all I can find is hearsay and he-said she-said.

Any sources/links/opinions?

I know some people don't like smart meters, I'm not looking for a fight about how good/bad/ugly they are!

2. Herbs

Herbs Active Member

3. Herbs

Herbs Active Member

4. Whitling2k

Whitling2k Member

Yeah, I have seen those thanks.

They are dated 2017/2018, so getting on a bit now. They seem to mention a successful workaround being considered/developed, but no talk of implementation, roll-out etc.

It's strange how there is so little acknowledgement of the problem, or end in sight.

I like the idea of some of the newer smart-tariffs for EV charging etc, but we seem at an unfair disadvantage with no end in sight.

The smart meter installers seem to know more, but I only get a 5 min chat when my gen 1 smart meter develops a comms fault (more frequently than I would like!). And the smart-tariff suppliers just tell me we aren't compatible/eligible (depending on who you speak to) for SMETS2 & therefore a smart tarif.

5. Herbs

Herbs Active Member

I agree. It would be good if you could raise awareness somehow. Issues like this are often emailed or tweeted to Martin Lewis as his profile allows him to raise issues directly with DCC and so on. Maybe that’s worth a try, especially as you’re not being allowed to move to cheaper tariffs because of it when it isn’t your fault

Whitling2k likes this.
  6. Whitling2k

Whitling2k Member

good point! I have emailed my MP, but he's as much use as chocolate fireguard unless it's something he can make money from... aah, the blue wall o_O

7. Whitling2k

Whitling2k Member

And OfGem.

The problem is that most of these intermediaries don't take non-specific enquiries, or deal with the general public. It's definitely a gap!

8. I had the smart meter on order from octopus when my electric car arrived. I was really chuffed when the meter fitters phoned on the day they were supposed to arrive and said it can't happen because I live too close to the fylingdales. Therefore I can't have a smart meter or the EV tariff. I now have huge electric bills, should have got a diesel!

Interestingly octopus don't seem to understand the issue and think it is because we don't have the correct wireless reception.

Rant over!

9. Whitling2k

Whitling2k Member

You have described my exact concern and situation. Octopus don't seem to get it, neither did OVO or Igloo.. Perhaps their second line tech staff might? (lol. clutching at straws here!)

I wrote to our MP and they wrote to Ofgem - and their message was very clear. The suppliers should understand the problem give you a timeframe for a SMETS2 meter. But they just can't!! Our EV purchase has been delayed - but is inevitable (long story) - so there isn't much I can do apart from hope the situation improves.

"Suppliers are responsible for delivering the benefits of smart metering to their customers and we expect suppliers to be able to tell their customers when they can expect to become eligible for smart metering."

Which reminds me, I should probably follow it up!

Which car did you go for? We're eyeing up the e-niro.

10. Banallsheds

Banallsheds Well-Known Member

There are no benefits to their customers. Smart meters benefit the suppliers only.

malkie129 likes this.
  11. Whitling2k

Whitling2k Member

I beg to differ, I love my Smart Meter (before OVO b******d it up. But I'm not rising to an argument. Each to their own.

12. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

I agree with banallsheds, but if you are happy with the arrangement, then who are we at disagree with you. But you have become disillusioned since OVO took over, is this a smart meter or a billing issue?

13. Heska

Heska New Member

Cant add anything to help get a solution, but I found this thread after a google search following Octopus arranging for my meter to be upgraded to SMETS2 last week, but the meter installer didn't show up. Turns out they aborted the job without informing me, due to the fact that our postcode is too near Fylingdales (were 40 north of the base).

While I'm typing I might as well have a moan about it!

June 2020 - British Gas tell me I must have a smart meter as part of my tariff (I'd put it off as I didn't want a SMETS1 meter which are useless). I had a look at their website and see that they no longer fit SMETS1 meters (since March 2019) so agree to have one fitted.
    September 2020 - British Gas fit meter.
    November 2020 - Switch to Octopus with a view of getting onto a smart tariff. Shortly after the switch I find out we had a SMETS1 meter fitted by British Gas. Octopus offer to upgrade to SMETS2.
    Jan 2021 - Meter installer doesn't show, Octopus tell me I can't have a SMETS2 meter because I'm too close to Fylingdales (40 mile away).

So I'm left with a non smart smart meter which no longer operates and I'm back to taking meter readings out of the cupboard. Great eh.

14. Nomenklatura

Nomenklatura Active Member

I had no idea that suppliers were stooping that low in their attempts to force people to have smart meters.

I would not argue with the suggestion that the CEOs of these companies be kidnapped, and smacked around the head with a length of 4x2 every time they answered "No" to the question "Are you going to stop blackmailing your customers like this?"

15. Banallsheds

Your own fault. You should never have agreed to have a smart meter. They do not benefit the customer, only the supplier.
    Best you can do now is to demand they replace it with as standard meter as you are too near Fylingdales.

16. Nomenklatura

Isn't what we are being told that suppliers are restricting some (presumably desirable) tariffs to smart meter customers?

A reasonable analogy would be many travel cards - you're absolutely not obliged to have one and the train/bus company can't make you, but they can offer lower fares to anybody who has one.

17. Banallsheds

But if there is a reason they can't fit a 'smart' meter (such as fylindales) they will still give you those tariffs.

18. Nomenklatura

19. Banallsheds

If smart meters cause interference to fylindales presumably there will be the same problem near any airport. Why are they allowed?

20. Nomenklatura

I think that the chances of being able to bring a missile warning station to its knees with a wi-fi router on steroids must be small. Isn't it the other way round? The radar station stops the smart meter from working?