Earthing SWA in a plastic housing

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by BiancoTheGiraffe, Jan 12, 2021.

1. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

What are people doing to earth the armour on SWA when using plastic adaptable boxes?

The brass nuts with terminals on are an option, but expensive and my method of soldering a short length of copper to the banjo always feels a bit of a bodge!

2. Philip Hyde

Philip Hyde Screwfix Select

I just use Piranha nut. Customers paying so £2.50 its not worth messing about. Or a wiska box with brass insert

3. Peterdevon

Peterdevon Screwfix Select

I use the banjo between two lock nuts

4. Philip Hyde

Is that on the inside or outside of the enclosure?

5. BiancoTheGiraffe

I've always been confused as to why they bother supplying the banjo without any means on connecting to it...

I've used small nuts and bolts in the past, but they have a tendency to come loose (plus they're fiddly), hence my soldering method

6. BiancoTheGiraffe

Out of interest, does anywhere sell a pack of "banjo nuts and bolts"?!

7. Philip Hyde

Only ever use Brass Nuts and bolts. Other wise get picked up on during EICR

8. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

soldering a short length of copper to the banjo

That's my usual method, a more reliable connection than nuts & bolts!

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  9. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

+1 for Philips suggestion. Piranha nuts are the way forward, no messing around!

10. CeSparky1

CeSparky1 Active Member

Piranha nut or if its to an adaptable box I use WISKA boxes and you can get proper earthing things then make a fly lead.

nigel willson likes this.
  11. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Mineral insulated cable 'pot' seals can be brought with an earth tail attached for when the cable is used in a shallow box with a clamp. Perhaps some enterprising supplier could do something similar with the larger (25mm) SWA glands.

12. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Yes ,there called roofing nuts and bolts

13. Philip Hyde

A lot of the commercial sites I work on specifically request Non Corrosive Bolts. They pull you up on it if you don't use Brass bolts.

14. Peterdevon

Peterdevon Screwfix Select

I put the banjo inside with two lock nuts and bolt appropriate size cable to it with M8 stainless short bolt washers and lock nut all available from our hosts, or if a larger box and I have one a pyrana nut.

15. Roys

Roys Screwfix Select

We always used M6 brass nuts and bolts 12 or 20mm long, crimps onto the bit of earthing to link a across. We had to fit the banjos externally for ease of regular inspection, industrial site.
    Used Piranha nuts on my last job which was not in an industrial setting, they are excellent.

16. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Have use banjos connected together with nut, bolt and washers, inside an enclosure.
    Have also drilled through the enclosure (single hole) and put a bolt through the banjos and then through into the enclosure.
    Have also drilled 2 holes through the enclosure, one for each banjo and linked the fly leads in a terminal block.

17. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

If you use a Pirañha nut turn it upside down or else the teeth designed to take the paint off a metal enclosure and make a good earth connection just drill a big hole in the plastic for the nut to fall through :eek: