Best base for a hot tub?

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Martino, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Martino

Martino New Member

I'm waiting delivery of a 2x2m 5 person hot tub. 370kg without water, roughly 1650kg with, adding 5 people at average 75kg makes it just over 2 metric tonnes. I want a floating base (if possible) to sit on an existing paved patio which as you would imagine is not level enough for a hot tub. Should I create a concrete base, or could I use standard deck build and use risers to level? Any advice gratefully received!

2. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

When you say 'floating base', are you just looking for something that doesn't involve getting rid of the paving?

A concrete base will spread the weight fairly evenly, and could be laid on top of the paving with a damp proof membrane to keep the paving from damage.
    A simple deck board fascia can be screwed to the side of the concrete to hide it.

I did a hot tub recently, where I laid a 150mm deep concrete slab for it to sit on. Try and find out how the power cable gets to the hot tub, as I had to make a channel for it to come up underneath.

3. Martino

Martino New Member

Thanks Joe, super helpful! I think it seems like the best way not to worry about it in the future is to lay a concrete base. It's a 13AMP power outlet, so I just need to switch my existing outdoor socket for a RCD switched version. And yes, I have some advice from the retailers on power cable, they advise a metal conduit to protect the cable. I'll speak to a spark about that one. Best–

4. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

Is it the inflatable plug & play type hotub. I presume so as you state -: “It’s a 13amp power outlet? If it’s a fixed type hotub you will require a dedicated supply.

5. Martino

Martino New Member

Hallo Steve, thanks for the reply, it's actually a fixed (non inflatable) type. The manufacturer states that requirements are (and attached):

If you have purchased one of our 13Amp rated tubs:

you will need still to supply a cable with a plug attached to provide power from the electrical supply socket. The cable must be long enough to reach around your tub to the position you require the control panel to be. If you are siting one of the 13Amp tubs outside then you will require an ip65 waterproof socket and you will still need to supply some form of armoured cable with plug attached and ideally a protective metal conduit for the cable to be protected from garden tools, animals etc.

Attached Files:

6. sparky steve

Hi, Martino.
    intrigued as i’ve only ever seen inflatable plug&play type hotubs with a 13amp supply. Usually fixed type require a dedicated supply.
    Where/ who supplies this particular model.

Joe95 likes this.
  7. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Martino likes this.
  8. Martino

Martino New Member

Hi Steve, it's https://www.bluewhalespa.com/13amp-hot-tubs/ seems a pretty reputable seller from what I've read and reviews, 13 amp plug and play (non inflatable) options seem more common.

9. sparky steve

Hi Martino,

Thank you for the info. Had a quick look using the link you provided. Did you realise they state that the hotub is classed as a 13/32 amp?

-: excert from their site.

“13/32AMP which means that it can run on either, but some points should be noted about this. If you are running from a 13AMP supply the heater will disengage when any of the jet pumps are started. To find out how the different power supplies affect this hot tub, please ask our sales team for more details.”

It would appear for you to benefit the full functionality of the hotub ie: heater plus jet pumps etc then you will require a dedicated 32amp supply.

Regards, Steve.

10. Martino

Martino New Member

Thanks Steve, super useful info! Not much point in a hot tub if it wont stay hot! I'll call the sales/tech guys asap and check this info. And then get myself a spark. One last question, if it need a dedicated supply, this would come from the fuse box and be a dedicated hard wired outdoor terminal? Thanks again.

11. sparky steve

If you decide you require a 32amp dedicated supply, then consult with the spark you employ. He will do a site survey and will be able to advise you accordingly.
    Regards, Steve.

12. Martino

Martino New Member

Thanks Steve, checked with the manufacturers, you were right. Pump can't work at the same time as heater. I think we are OK with that, but, manufacturer said you can always change the supply as this tub can be flipped to be 32amp, too. Thanks for all the help!