Bathroom pull light dangerous wiring?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Ross89t15, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Ross89t15

Ross89t15 New Member

Pull cord stoped working on bathroom light , screwed cap of and noticed the wiring, is this ok ?seems a lot of exposed wire on the earth cable ? TIA

Attached Files:

2. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Not just the earth, other terminals showing too much conductor. Needs a good tidy up.

3. Ross89t15

Ross89t15 New Member

Would you consider it dangerous or just shoddy workmanship? Thanks

4. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Not the best job is it. While it is not dangerous when the lid is on, it does concern me that this may the standard of workmanship throughout the installation.

RolandK likes this.
  5. Ross89t15

Ross89t15 New Member

I had an extractor fan fitted last year the man that gave the quote wasn't the one who did the work (sent two kids round) hopefully this is just a one off bad job, thanks for you reply

6. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

It looks quite old, particularly with the paint around the cover and cord!

With the power to the light/switch isolated, if you connect the single red wire to the red wires on the other side of the switch and the light operates after switching the power back on, then that would confirm the switch is faulty.

Here is a better replacement:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-6a-1-way-pull-cord-switch-white/17309

7. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

Are you having a laugh?

That switch was installed years before the kids who installed the fan last year were born and is sod all to do with them.

8. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

I wonder if they took a switched live from the switch for the fan but did a bad job and the two wires in the terminal have come loose?

9. The Happy Builder

No.

I would find it hard to believe they even opened the cover on the pull cord and would guess they took a three core and earth back to the light fitting.

The switch is probably due for replacement as routine maintenance, otherwise check the terminals are secure and the conductors are fully in them.

10. The Happy Builder

Rubbish, you don’t have the faintest idea of what you are talking about on any level.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2021
  11. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

So is the light still not working ?

Of course, may not be an issue with the switch but the light fitting itself or the supply to light fitting

Do you own a multi meter as a basic piece of test equipment ?

Could simply test if you have power at switch / going through switch / light fitting / with a basic neon screwdriver that you have proved works

Trouble is, this is real basic method and even if you have power going to light fitting, it could actually be a fault on the neutral and ur neon driver ain’t gonna help there

What kind of light fitting and bulb (lamp) do you have ?

Maybe low voltage running off a transformer and transformer has blown - so switch is a red herring ! Anyway, I’m just guessing here

Could tidy switch up yourself (with power off) As mentioned, red core has copper showing also and that needs attention - maybe it’s not even making contact with screw terminal and that’s the problem right there (I’m guessing again)

Buy some Earth sleeving, can’t just buy a short length but it’s only pennies and maybe 1m from eBay ? Shortest I’ve seen off the shelf is 5m

Remove the Earth sleeve that’s there now, don’t just add on to existing. Also go for a smaller diameter sleeve as I hate that 4mm baggy stuff on 1.5 / 2.5mm T&E. Go for 2 or 3mm, just neater

Also best the copper isn’t twisted together, ends up with a poor termination and less contact between the screw and copper

Unwind and straighten each core with pliers then feed on new sleeve, 1 length onto each Earth core

One last thing - that grey patch on the domed section - is the plastic chipped and cracked around there ? Trying to make it out - certainly looks like a crack at least

If so, switch certainly needs replacing

I’m only diy me but happy with my above content (just wonder if you made it to the end) ? :)

12. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Is this sort of thing really necessary?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2021
    Ross89t15 likes this.
  13. Ross89t15

Ross89t15 New Member

Probably not but the
    'Are you having a laugh' comment ticket me off tbh thanks for your concern tho "hugs"

14. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Someone kick this guy out...

15. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

I never understand why people ask for advice from experienced trades, but get abusive when they don't like the suggestions given.

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  16. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

I Never recommend using a neon screwdriver very dangerous bit of kit as are easy shorted so that the there is full voltage and amperage at the bit you put your finger on (even a bit of moisture) instance death if faulty

17. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

C'mon Tina ...... surely the above statement 'instance death if faulty' is like saying 'never fly in a plane - instant death if faulty'

Yes, plane crashes happen, sometimes human error, sometimes mechanical failure, etc, but we all (most of the population at least' risks it several times during our lifetime .....and we live to enjoy the memories

I'm certainly not saying that the neon screwdriver is a great piece of test equipment but it can have it uses (limited yes I agree) and something that many people own

If really as dangerous as you make out, with 'instant death if faulty', would they be allowed to be on sale so readily ?

Surely there would be court cases globally and these 'instant death devices' would be banned

These screwdrivers are included in many VDE screwdriver sets, also by the better / pro brands also
    Not saying the pro sparks use them, maybe for stirring their tea perhaps ? Probably not for fault finding I guess ?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/wiha-softfinish-mixed-vde-screwdriver-set-7-pack/3072g

Also sets by Wera, C.K. etc

Of course, like any item we purchase, there's a varying degree of quality to the item which may, or may not be obvious to the user. Perhaps the lesser quality neon drivers have a higher chance of that 'instant death' ? 'feature'

Maybe they should come with at least a disclaimer sticker from the manufacturer which absolves them of any guilt should the 'instant death' situation kick in
    After all, the diy bodger has ended up dead on the floor and his Mrs is going nuts as still no lights on in the house :eek:

What with the current pandemic and the high numbers of patients being treated in our hospitals, the use and sale of neon screwdrivers should at a minimum, be halted to alleviate any further persons requiring hospital treatment (although if that 'Instant Death' situation has been triggered, then there's not really much the hospital can do anyway)

Surely Tina, your comment is nothing more than gossip, here-say, rumour mongering, old wives tales, conjuncture, fiction and just trotting out the time trodden story

From your previous posts, I believe that your an electrician by trade and I'm just a diy'er and chef by trade so fair play to you, you're way more qualified in the subject than me, and I fully admit that but, c'mon, is what you've said really fact and is it / should it / be a genuine concern ?

An interesting topic though and I am partially having a laugh with this but ,,,,,,,,,

18. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

Nobody with an understanding of electrical theory would ever use a screwdriver with a neon for anything except to stir the tea.
    Its surprising that they are still sold.
    Tina's comment is valid

19. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Anybody have any links to deaths recorded due to neon screwdrivers ? I wonder how many there have been.

20. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I did suggest as a tea stirring implement they may be useful and also, much less risk of ‘Instant Death’ occurring

Unless you left said screwdriver in your tea mug and took a big gulp ..... driver gets lodged in your throat and although, on this occasion, not ‘Instant Death’ , would still be nasty all the same

Damm,,,, those pesky screwdrivers are out to get us :D

stevie22 likes this.