Fitting Whale Gulper shower pump

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Davy Wandrum, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Davy Wandrum

Davy Wandrum New Member

Hi all, first time posting anything, but long time reader, these forums have helped me loads when doing bits and pieces in our complete cottage refurb!

I have an existing wet room floor (using a pre formed kit), however the drainage is poor. It's due to the existing 'unusual' waste routing, installed before we bought the property, which can't be changed now, unfortunately - there is very little run, and it has to run horizontally for approx 15m before it gets to the stack!!!!

My shower trap is in the usual 1 1/2 waste, but I'm looking at fitting a Whale Gulper pump to assist with the drainage. This pump has a 15mm waste inlet, and a 22mm outlet.

I was hoping not to replace my trap, and was thinking about hopefully using some sort of reducers to bring my existing 40mm waste down to the 15mm pump inlet.

Has anyone had any experience of this, or am I onto plums and need to replace the trap?

Fingers crossed it can be done, thanks in advance for any replies

Davy.

2. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

The Whale Gulper on our narrow boat's shower is connected up with flexible plastic hoses.

You may be able to use a washing machine/dishwasher spigot from a 40mm 'P' Trap to fit onto the current shower waste pipe with a 40mm mechanical (ie plastic compression) coupling.

There will be a way round it. You might also find a chandlers, eg 'Midland Chandlers', have some bits you can use.

3. heatyman

heatyman Well-Known Member

These are the go to solution for use on boats where headroom and water levels preclude natural drainage. They are very reliable.

4. Davy Wandrum

Davy Wandrum New Member

Ta, the whale pumps seem to be ideal, I've never had to fit one before.

I'll get a wee nosy at Midland Chandlers to see what they can do

Joe the Plumber likes this.
  5. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

On my boat I`m running a Triton household shower with a deep shower tray and a standard waste trap with a Jabsco 50880 pump. It deals with up to 16lpm through 25mm connections and plastic hoses. The pump sucks so doesn`t have to be below the trap. You will need the 240v version and can`t remember what bits I used to step down from the trap to 25mm though

6. heatyman

heatyman Well-Known Member

Looking at the spec from Whale, a transformer is part of the installation kit.

7. just pumps

Is this the one with the smaller inlets & outlets though?

8. Davy Wandrum

Davy Wandrum New Member

Yeah, the pump inlet is 15mm and the outlet is 22mm, all my existing waste is 40mm.

If I get the Whale pump I see some quality bodging ahead to step down/up

I'll have a look at the Jabsco and see what else is available.

Tbh, cost is a biggie, as I'm skint!! I can get a Whale pump/transformer/flow switches for about £100, so that's my bar at the moment.

9. just pumps

Fully understand the costing however remember to check the pump can deal with the output of the shower.

10. Davy Wandrum

Davy Wandrum New Member

The blurb for the gulper says it can go to 14l/min.

We have a Milano Elizabeth twin exposed thermostatic mixer shower, which apparently has an adjustable flow, so it should be okay

If it all goes seriously pete tong, I'll look at flow reducers in the shower valve unit outlets.

Just need to quit my job, so I've got enough time to do all the work now