Yale self install Burglar alarm

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by catchfew, Jan 13, 2021.

1. catchfew

catchfew New Member

Hello all I’m Brian..
    I’m thinking of installing a Wireless Yale alarm system in our bungalow.
    The place was built in the late 60s and all dividing walls are Breeze block.
    I have noticed that if I try to access my iPad WiFi in the bedroom then the signal is very poor.
    However in the lounge where the router is located the signal is good.

This has just made me pause regarding the purchase of the components for the Alarm. I’m unsure if the Signal strength of the PIRs - Outside Alarm Bell - Door sensors etc will have the range to effectively stay in touch with the main panel.

Can anyone with installation experience of the Screwfix/Yale system comment if wireless connectivity has been an issue in any systems they have installed.

my bungalow isn’t massive just three beds, lounge, kitchen and bathroom. But again all internal walls are breeze block.

I have read what the Yale website says about their system having a good range even covering outbuildings garages etc but would feel better from a bit of reassurance from people who have actually installed it

best wishes to all
    Brian

2. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

The Yale alarms operate at lower 433MHz or 868MHz frequencies so you often don't have the issue as with WiFi being blocked by thick walls etc.

catchfew likes this.
  3. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

While no one can guarantee effective wireless communications without trying, comparison with WiFi is not an accurate way to to predict outcome. WiFi runs at 2.4Ghz while alarms like Yale use 868Mhz. The lower frequency of the alarm system allows better signal transmission through walls. A better test is using your car key fob which is likely to use 868Mhz.

catchfew likes this.
  4. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

I've got an older but similar specification Response alarm. It has sensors in the shed and garage some distance from the house and it works fine.
    The only thing I did notice when installing was was that the sensors needed to be mounted on wood, rather than the metal door surface as it interfered with the signal.

catchfew likes this.
  5. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Have a longer pause ...

Have a serious look at a Texecom system - for example a Kit 1004. I can vouch for the effectiveness of their wireless systems and you have a lot more control. Then add in their SmartCom and you get notifications to your phone aswell as teh ability to control it too. Also, it may actually be cheaper.

Teki and catchfew like this.
  6. BriB

BriB Member

If your bungalow loft is empty and unused, it should be a simple task to install a wired system which allows for "mix and matching" different manufacturers parts and avoids the risk of finding you can't obtain Yale parts in years to come.

catchfew likes this.
  7. catchfew

catchfew New Member

That’s a good point BriB Future access to spares is not something that had occurred to me. However our loft is very low and crawling around up there is really something I would like to avoid if possible hence my interest in the Wireless systems.

8. BriB

BriB Member

9. BriB

BriB Member

Understood, but the fitting of PIR's are generally to the ceiling corner of each room. This can often fall to the centre area of the home and possibly the highest part of the loft.

Perhaps the bell box cable could be a struggle but sometimes dropping it down inside a fitted wardrobe can be the answer, before drilling to outside.

The same for the front door contact (unless you rely on a PIR for that)

Put the control panel in the loft and the small key pad in a suitable spot in an area below.

Once you start to look you may be surprised how easy it would be.

If there are no security supply companies local you will find everything you could want at most electrical wholesalers. £150/£200 would see you with a decent system for a four roomed bungalow and another £15 or so for each extra room you wanted to fit a PIR in.

A little extra for PIR's that are "pet friendly" or suitable for glass conservatories.

Hope this helps.

catchfew likes this.
  10. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

Worth a look at the texecom systems. If you decide on a hardwired system, i would suggest their veritas range. Really easy to install and program for a diy install. Also hardwired systems tend to be more reliable against false alarms and hardwired components are lower priced. Their premier range if you decide wireless is the way to go, are also very reliable. However imo this range is more aimed at pro install. However if you have a good knowledge of alarm systems, then it is not beyond a diy install.

catchfew likes this.
  11. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Texecom - yes.

Veritas - No, wired only which from the OPs comments some wireless seems necessary
    Premier - Obsolete and replaced with the Premier Elite

PE in basic form, can easily be a DIY install and the Texecom website will provide plenty of support.

sparky steve and catchfew like this.
  12. BriB

BriB Member

Agree with Sparky Steve, I have also found Texecom very reliable too.

catchfew likes this.
  13. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

Yes indeed you are correct premier-is obsolete. As you have correctly informed replaced with the premier elite range.