Bathroom pull light dangerous wiring?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Ross89t15, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Dont know the neon screwdriver but you seem to around a lot of bad accidents:)

2. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

The more testing you try to do with neon screwdrivers the more false results you will have, in general when using inappropriate testing gear the more testing you do the more false results you will obtain, both false positives and negatives.

You then start to lose confidence in the tester you are using and look for something of better quality.

In the meantime there’s the danger that something will go bang with a big flash.

£40 or more on a reasonable voltage and continuity tester does not seem an unreasonable amount to spend on a tester that may save your life, rather than the less than two quid that Screwfix are selling neon screwdrivers for and a multi meter at around a tenner.

Do you a believe that I have never made a mistake and I have never received an electric shock:rolleyes:

I have learnt from my mistakes.

tina lucinda lane likes this.
  3. The Happy Builder

I have seen some extremely silly mistakes that became life threatening.

I have also made some silly mistakes.

If in doubt I shove my insulated long nosed pliers in as a final act of proving dead, I would rather sacrifice a pair of pliers than a finger.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  4. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Never had a neon and never will they should be banned, I will say like you I have made some mistakes some were I been very lucky I now rely on my fluke probe tester

5. The Happy Builder

After you blown the ends off a few screwdrivers and test probes or melted a pair of pliers, you will find it sharpens your wits.

A dead short or an earth fault in a TN system in your home can result in over a thousand amps following through the tool in your hand, resulting in one hell of a flash and a bang.

6. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

Having been on the receiving end of a similar shock youtube or Google crt TV discharge voltage and watch that sucker kick like a bucking bronco then you can understand what I suffered hence my new found respect for electrical work being put on your *** and threw across a room is not a fun experience

7. Banallsheds

Banallsheds Well-Known Member

The same common sense tells you that dangerous addictive things like tobacco and alcohol should surely be withdrawn from sale.
    Never assume government follows common sense.

8. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

Can I just apologise to the op here that this has through my fault been side tracked hopefully they can get their problem resolved safely

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

No need to apologise Tina, the OP sorted his problem by replacing the ceiling switch

This was mentioned early on in the thread (page 1 I think )) but several posts were then ‘pulled’ due to insults being traded between several contributors

Amazingly we’ve all managed to keep our ‘discussion’ re neon screwdrivers ‘above board’ and following the ethos of the forum - just goes to show, it can be done :)

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Total ban on addictive substances, you mention tobacco and alcohol..... but there’s so many more

Where do you drawer the line ?

You really want to be part of a society where the ruling party has that much power ?

11. The Happy Builder

As far as I know there isn’t a British Standard for neon screwdrivers and manufacturers claim compliance with VDE.

It will be interesting to see which one of them is the first to put an UKCA mark on a neon screwdriver to be allowed to continue selling them in the UK.

12. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

I take on-board all the criticism and the exposure of the potential dangers using a neon screwdriver. As a professionals working with electricity we all use GS38 procedures and approved test equipment to protect ourselves and others relying on us. However, in the real world non-professional folks do come across electricity but without the access to the tools we use everyday and have to rely on more basic devices. Surely, it is better for a DIYer to use a neon screwdriver correctly rather than nothing at all. It is a case of greater utility - I suspect that more people have been saved from serious injury by using neon screwdrivers than have been harmed by the failure of such devices. (I cannot find any research either to support or refute this, so just an assertion).
    We must not let our pursuit of righteous perfection drive out the good that can be done.

That said if you must use a neon screwdriver buy a decent one from a reputable supplier rather than the pound store.

13. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

14. The Happy Builder

Interesting one, I wonder if that includes the hole in the insulation on the end of the handle?