Virgin Hub 3 and V6 box installation

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by RolandK, Jan 20, 2021.

1. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

I've currently got a Virgin Media installation covering Broadband, TV and Phone. The router is the old original Superhub which is up in the office on its own cable and has my desktop PC and Hue hub connected to its ethernet ports. Down in the lounge is the cable connection for the Tivo box. I want to retain this layout but want the free upgrade to a Hub 3 and V6 box. If I understand correctly the Hub 3 has to be connected to the incoming cable and V6 box has to be close to it and connected with a ethernet cable. This is what I don't want as I guess the only way I could keep my office desktop connected to ethernet is to run a Cat5/6 cable back up to the office. Not easy due to house layout! Phone is over in opposite corner of lounge to the current Tivo and I believe this also has to connect to the Hub. Don't want the 'cable stapled along the skirting and over door frame' scenario!!
    If anyone has any experience of this Hub 3/V6 installation and how it was done and/or any suggestions how I could get the installation I want I'd be grateful for any input. Have tried speaking to Virgin but like everyone else they are short staffed and after waiting ages for chat support the operator had no idea what I was talking about!!
    Cheers

2. spannerw

spannerw Screwfix Select

Hi
    I have Hub 3 and TiVo, they do not need connecting together, TiVo talks to hub via WiFi.

3. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Thanks.
    That sounds encouraging. So the hub and box each have a seperate cable attached?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  4. spannerw

spannerw Screwfix Select

I have multi room boxes, 1 upstairs and 1 downstairs, both work fine on WiFi.

5. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Thanks. Looks like I can get the new kit and keep the setup I've got.

6. spannerw

spannerw Screwfix Select

No problem.

7. Altay

Altay New Member

I have the Hub 3 and when I recently added the V6 it wouldn't work with only the wifi connection.

I had to get an engineer out to connect the V6 to the physical Virgin "TV" cable.

8. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

I see. May I ask how much the charge is for the engineer to come out? Ordering the upgrade there is an option to get engineer installation for £30 but not sure if that's for a straight forward instal with the box and hub side by side and linked by the ethernet cable. I'll have another go at talking to them tomorrow.
    Thanks

9. Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent Member

Hi RolandK do you have a link to this upgrade to a V6 box? i have the Hub 3 and a Tivo, if they are upgrading for free I'm interested as they were doing it about 3 years ago, we were in the throes of moving house and didn't any more disruption at our old place.

10. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Try this
    https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/hub-swap

11. Roys

Roys Screwfix Select

Just as a side note, I have about 6 months ago gone from a Tivo box to a V6 box in both my living room and bedroom, a big difference we notice with the V6 box is that they are a lot noisier, the noise is a hard drive searching noise, so if you are sensitive to noise in the bedroom which some people are then be careful.
    I am considering moving my V6 boxes to beside the router in the hall as the remotes do not require line of sight to work.
    My splitter is beside the router, so I have a coax going from the splitter to each V6 box and a cat5e cable going from the router to each V6 box.

12. goldwise

goldwise Active Member

I've had a v6 box since they were rolled out and haven't noticed any noise at all. I'll be listening for it now. Got a nice letter from virgin yesterday re a £4 pm monthly increase. Pushing towards £100 pm now for TV, wifi & phone. Never make outward calls on phone as so expensive. Asked about cancelling phone but told that there would be no saving as having it offers a discount on tv & wifi.

13. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Had a similar conversation a while back when I told them I wanted to keep just broadband but not tv and phone. It would have been more expensive than all three! Conversation ended with a big discount on the whole package when I told them to terminate the whole lot!

14. Altay

Altay New Member

I wasn't charged for the Engineer visit.
    They did try to increase my monthly payment by £10 for the V6 but removed it when I complained.

I also got the notification for a price increase and am seriously considering going elsewhere as the network reliability is so poor... only problem is that I don't have another phone line into the house at present.

15. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

I've usually been successful in getting reductions in my package once you mention ending the contract. We've decided not to use the phone unless we have to as it's so expensive and doesn't make sense when we've got mobiles with minutes we don't fully use each month! In truth we're a bit tied in to Virgin as I really don't want a dish stuck on the house. On the plus side the network here seems quite robust.

16. goldwise

goldwise Active Member

I had a letter last month telling me I'm paying a few £££ more than new customers would pay for the same package. That's why the £4 increase is so unwelcome. I've threatened to leave and had discount in the past. Last time I tried this they didn't budge. I'll try it from a different angle. I don't get full-house wifi so why should I pay full price? The power supply is on 2 circuits so netgear booster boxes don't help. Virgin sent me their 'solution' 2 years ago, but that was just more booster boxes so I returned them. Some companies offer full-house wifi guarantees. Time to try again I think.

Btw. I'd be happy with Freeview and Netflix but wife is a telly addict. She refuses to give up Virgin.