Conflicting information - What filler?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by I think that goes there, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Hello,

I’m about to start some light renovation work which includes filling settlement cracks and gaps in a new build and I’m looking for the correct products for the job.

I’ve watched quite a few videos and read a few threads but still confused as to which filler is best.

I know everyone has their own way of doing things but I just want to make sure that what I’m planning is correct.

I’ve watched a video on repairing: skirting boards, nail pops, hairline cracks and one repairing a windowsill all by the same person. In the videos the guy uses a 2 part filler (Bonda - Decor Fill) except when coming to repair the windowsill gap (which was quite big) instead he back fills with caulk then tops it off with more caulk which I don’t understand as it was the same size gap and material as the skirting board, why not fill it with the 2 part filler to fill the big gap and THEN use the caulk to finish?

Can I use Bonda - Decor Fill for the repairs I need? (I have attached images and numbered them to make it easier to reply starting with the hairline cracks moving to the bigger gaps).

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. They're shrinkage cracks so I reckon you'd be better off with a flexible filler like caulk.

koolpc likes this.
  3. Shanebo

Shanebo Member

I would second flexible filler check this out

4. Even for the bigger gaps like in photo 4?

5. This is the video I’m referring to funnily enough, he uses the 2 part filler for everything else, even repairs the same as the one in the video and it’s that what has me confused as to which one I should be using :/

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

A quality decorating caulk and a packet of Toupret Interior Filler to hand.

7. Shanebo

Shanebo Member

I think he uses 2 different types because some caulk shrinks, so he is preventing having to come back. you could just get the caulk and fill the bit gaps and small gaps and if the caulk shrinks into the gap overtime then re-apply

Or you could do what he does and get one that doesn't shrink to applyin first, but that's overkill and only worth it if you already own them

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If shrinkage is a concern use acrylic frame sealant rather than caulk.

9. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Must admit I've always used acrylic frame sealant for that sort of thing. Be interested to see if there's a better way.

10. Thank you for the replies, when I said he uses two types I was referring to using a 2 part filler for the skirting board and then caulk for the window as both are the same types of repair but different approaches.

11. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

12. Shanebo

Shanebo Member

13. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

"Flexible acrylic filler for use on most materials. Paintable within 1 hour. Contains fungicide. For interior or exterior use."

14. Shanebo

Shanebo Member

Ah ok, forgive me I didn't have the energy to read the specs
    Silicone Sealant vs Acrylic Sealant The one advantage acrylic sealant has over silicone sealant is paintability most acrylic sealants are paintable with most paints this is not the case for silicone sealants. However in all other areas silicone sealants outperform acrylic sealants. Silicone sealants are more flexible and have a longer lifespan than acrylic sealants. In addition when applied externally acrylic sealants are ruled by the climate, conditions must be dry and preferably warm to avoid the curing sealant being washed out of the joint. Also silicone sealants are easier to tool and finish compared to their acrylic counterparts. Once the sealant is cured an acrylic sealant's weather resistance and weatherproofing properties does not come close to that of a silicone sealant.

15. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Agree with most of that but easier to tool? Even with the silcone tools I've bought from here I get in right old mess. Not the case with acrylic.

16. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I'd use https://www.mypaintbrush.co.uk/repair-care-uk-dry-flex-4-2-in-1

I carry the 2 part repair care in 2 tubes but that also needs a primer while the above don't. Only half tube though so you don't get much buy enough for your repair. Easy to use and tools clean with a wipe of wd-40 and some decorators wipes.

2 pack wood filled is good but not as good as the repair care products. As for caulk it really should only be used sparingly when required. Also caulk can be a problem with some paints so I always prime it and never apply caulk thickly. I'd dig out that skirting of yours and make sure it's fixed well before filling. Other joints need digging out a bit and filling with something that will also glue and move without cracking.. That video of caulk application I don't think would last and look good after a few days and certainly not after a summer sun. Jmo. I'd of used repair care so it would all become one piece fixed together.

17. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Hans_25 likes this.
  18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

A lot of decorators use foam for large cracks and holes finishing off with a decent filler. Repair care is a fantastic product however really expensive to start with as a 2 pack primer is also needed otherwise the repair care will not stick. Close on £70 to get started.

19. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

Hi
    Sorry did I misunderstand this.
    Its a NEW build ?

Johnny M

20. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Depends on paints. People recommend caulk but should also mention what paint they use over or it. Just saying.