16amp Socket in Garage

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by kirkdx, Jan 21, 2021.

1. kirkdx

kirkdx Active Member

Hi,

I need to get at least one 16a socket into my garage for a table saw. From what I’be been reading the only safe, within regs way is a radial from the CU to the socket with a 16a mcb (I’m a little confused about the different mcb types but I’ll let the electrician worry about that if it’s a CU connection).

We’ve pretty much run out of room on our CU, so to do that I’m going to have to fit a 2nd CU for the garage. Not the end of the world but, my question is, is there any other, safe, acceptable way to add a 16a socket other than direct from CU? I could do without the extra expense if I can avoid it but not looking to ‘bodge’ it to save a bit of money

2. Roys

Roys Screwfix Select

What is the load of your table saw, could you fit a standard good quality 13A plug onto saw, by far the easiest way if your saw will work from that.

3. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Like most things it depends.

is there power in the garage already? Is there a separate consumer unit in the garage? Where does the supply to the garage come from, what are the characteristics, maybe if can be upgraded.

If it truly needs a separate 16A supply. How would the supply get to the garage?
    A spare space can often be created in a full consumer unit, by rearranging dome circuits.

but really all of this can be determined in 5 minutes by your local friendly electrician. Get two or three to look at the problem snd give you quotes.

4. kirkdx

kirkdx Active Member

It’s 2.2kw and 230v, so running load is 9.5amps. I’m going to assume as it’s an induction motor the socket is required for the initial start load but I can’t find details of the motor to get an idea of what that might be.

5. kirkdx

kirkdx Active Member

Hi

Yes there is power to the garage already, running off the same CU as the rest of the house. That CU is right next the the garage (it’s an internal garage) but not in the garage, so there is already cables running from CU into the garage.

I’ve already spoken to an electrician about a 2nd CU as we’ll be adding outside circuits and some point and he suggested a 2nd one for those anyway as the current one is full, think it’s a 12 or 14 way unit. I’m happy to put the 2nd CU in, just could have done with not having the expense now if there was another way for the 16a socket

6. Roys

Roys Screwfix Select

My 2kW Ferm table saw ran fine from a 13A plug, might be worth a try, all you are going to waste is 30 mins of your time swopping plugs about and it might save you a bit of expense just now. Of course the fuse might blow and you will have to get a 16A socket fitted but you might not.......

7. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Make a 13a-16a adaptor...

Very commonly used in the event industry and 99.9% of the time without problem

8. BiancoTheGiraffe

A 13a fuse will take a steady 16a load for ages anyway, it will never pop with a 2000w motor, no matter what the start current

Roys likes this.
  9. Roys

Roys Screwfix Select

Agree, that’s what makes me think his 2.2kW motor should be fine on a 13A plug. But you never know unless he tries it

10. Philip Hyde

Philip Hyde Screwfix Select

If it trips on start up It would probably work out cheaper fitting a Soft start unit

11. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Why make one, buy one already made from a caravan or camping shop.

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  12. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

I have a 2.2 kW table saw on a 13A plug, it has an induction motor, permeant capacitor as is the norm from China, it has never blown the fuse in the plug. Kirkdx, fit a 13A plug and try it, what have you to loose, nothing but a fuse and the fitting time. What have you to gain, well you will have a couple of hundred quid to spend on something else.

rogerk101 likes this.
  13. BiancoTheGiraffe

Good point (if camping shops are open!)

I'd forgotten that caravans use them!

14. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

15. kirkdx

kirkdx Active Member

You know, I might even have one of those adapters lying around from when we owned a motorhome! I feel a bandsaw upgrade on it's way ;-)

16. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

I’ve lost the plot on this one somewhere.

What sort of plug/connector does your table saw have at the moment then?

17. kirkdx

kirkdx Active Member

Well, I don't have the table saw currently, but it says it requires a 16amp socket, so in theory from what I understand I could plug that adapter into a standard 13a socket and then plug the table saw into the adapter. I could have misunderstood of course and once I get the saw I guess we'll see if I start blowing fuses in adapters

I will get a 16amp socket into the garage (a real one) at some point, just looking to spread the cost of the saw and the work if I can, safely

18. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Ah. OK. You are going to be limited by a 13A fuse.
    There's no point putting a 16A plug on the saw and using a caravan adaptor to convert it to a 13A plug. You may as well just use a 13A plug!

A 13A fuse will carry 20amp almost indefinately, so, forget all of the above except for the very first post.
    You may not have a problem at all, come back if you have one!

19. FifeGolf

FifeGolf Member

I run a 2100W table saw off a 13A plug and not had an issue. Ok, I have issues elsewhere, but never with the saw or it's plug.

20. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

What is the EXACT saw. A link would be useful

For the manufacturer to state it needs a 16A plug when it is rated at 2200w (<10A) seems a little odd. I run fairly high power tools on a 13A plug and on freezing nights have a 3kw heater pulling 13A through a standard plug and it can go on for several hours.