New lintel

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by teegee, Jan 22, 2021.

1. teegee

teegee New Member

upload_2021-1-22_11-21-16.png

Hi all, hope you can help.
    I want to remove the two windows and remove the brickwork in between. Then replace the full width, that you can see in the pic, with a picture window. It is an apex wall.
    I had hoped that the lintel above the windows ran the whole width but you can see that each has its own lintel resting on either side of the centre brickwork pillar.
    The internal cavity wall is breezeblock and the building is a single height annexe.
    Could you advise, what will be the best method to install the new window? Do I need a new full length steel lintel bridging the whole length, inside and out. Or is there some other method that would work.
    Such as flat steel (on the outside wall) inserted all the way underneath the present lintels, thereby bridging the centre part - with the new window underneath to add additional support. The internal wall I guess would need a "proper" lintel. That way, the exterior brickwork, inc arches, would remain intact, as is.
    Also what will be the best method to support the brickwork.
    Many thanks

2. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

You need a properly designed lintel for both lintels.

You also need to think about the aesthetics. Going to look a bit odd: I'd probably go for a soldier course right the way through.

3. teegee

teegee New Member

Thanks for the reply stevie22. Do you mean one cavity lintel that would bridge the outer and inner wall?

4. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Yes, but be aware that there are all sorts of different types and strengths of "Catnic". Are there any beams supported by the section of wall? If so you could still use an appropriately sized catnic but you'd want a spreader under the beam to reduce the point loading. A section of psc lintel would do this for you.

You twigged of course that the second "lintel" in my post should have read "leaf"

5. teegee

teegee New Member

Thank you Stevie22. So the psc would go on the internal leaf to help spread the load from the support beam with a soldier course on the external leaf?

6. teegee

teegee New Member

Any additional advice on this post? Thanks

7. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Post 2: "properly designed lintel". Someone needs to design it.

8. teegee

teegee New Member

OK. Thanks Stevie22