Silly door framing question...

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Adamfya, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

Hi, have bought a wickes framing kit which it says is suitable for 1981 iirc door heights,,

The frame kit measures 2050 from floor level to the underside of head??

Should I be cutting the sides down to accommodate a 1981 door height??

2. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

yes, cut the height to suit your door (providing you're taking into account the finished floor level)

3. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

Thanks, does a 1981 door come at 1981 or is that what you can finish it to at minimum? ?

4. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

It comes at that size (6'6" in old money) and the manufacturer will state the maximum size that it can be reduced on any of the edges. The rules are usually different for fire doors though if that's what you're using.

5. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

1981 + 25 clear + 23mm lining head thickness. I stud out to 2040 high and linings usually fit in this.
    Have seen some thicker linings lately on newbuild work. What does the first fix Jedi @Jord86 think?

Jord86 likes this.
  6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Stop it Jim, I'm merely a wookie in the scheme of things. The op has bought a lining for metric doors or fire doors as far as I can see without googling, so he should just trim the jambs to suit. I build openings at 80 1/2" high as there's plenty of room then to get the lining in even if the floor is badly out of level. Linings I've come across always 1 1/8" or 28mm, 23mm is a bit flimsy especially for firedoors.

7. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

I had some from howdens recently and I struggled to get one in. Then I measured and they're cut to around door height plus 30mm. I'd already fitted a few n all. I've left them as most likely overboard floors. It's half chipboard half t&g
    Been a long time since I've had a lining too tall. Usually end up packing them up a few mm to get a decent 22 gap under door without trimming

8. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

To OP I'd be cutting so around 2005mm to underside head

9. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

Thanks for that....you boys getting all technical and stuff!!!!

10. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

I'm in the process of studding out in the next couple of days, so just thought I'd get some advice before I went to far....

11. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

Would I be right in thinking to leave a 3mm gap at the bottom of the frame between floorboards and frame??

12. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

No, leave at least 1/4 of an inch if it's a finish floor like vinyl or floorboards and 3/4" if carpet is going down. It's better to leave more on and plane back if required to suit out of level floors.

13. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

Thanks for that, so just to clarify cut my frame to allow a finished head height or 2050 and set 1/4" off of floor boards..?

14. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Door 1981mm
    Gap under door 6mm
    Gap at door head 2mm

Door lining thickness I assume 28mm

Leave 10mm of tolerance in height between door lining head and underside of timber stud door head.

15. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

Yes 28mm thickness. Thankyou